My filter setup and mud...no problem

Bags

My filter setup and mud...no problem

#1 Post by Bags »

Pdavis, Pro400ex, and I raced a race in Orlando, FL this past weekend that was like nothing I have done before. It rained all day long and the track was about 6" deep of pure mud. The 250r's had no chance and should have stayed home. The 4 strokes just kept on chugging through it and all three cannondales made it to the finish. The bikes were totally covered with thick mud and one of Pete's fenders fell off from all the mud on it. I was getting kinda scared about my bike because I changed to the straight K&N filter clamped directly to the throttle body and knew that it had no protection around it except for the prefilter sock. After the race was over, that I won, I removed the front fenders and looked to see that there was only one small glob of mud about the size of a nickel on the prefilter and the rest was totally clean. After riding it more with the filter setup, I am liking it more and more.

USAMoto00

#2 Post by USAMoto00 »

Great job! Do you happen to have some pics for us?:head:

MX Quad Dad

#3 Post by MX Quad Dad »

were do you mount the sensors and crank case breather?

thomez

#4 Post by thomez »

Great job on the win! biggrin.gif

pdavis

#5 Post by pdavis »

what a mud fest, my wife took some pics, and i will post if they came out good, after the first heat, the weight of the mud broke off my left rear fender, and then the right one in the second moto, all 3 dales were plowing pretty good, i got 3rd first moto, and who knows were in the second moto, not alot of jumps, more of a TT style, but there was a double, that was a test, it was so muddy and slippery, one time i gave it gas to get over the double and basically all i did was spin the tires and get turned sideways off the jump, landed short, and about at a 70 degree angle and slide to the bottom of the landing ramp, and the bike stalled, then got plowed into from the next guy coming over the jump, then HE got plowed into by the next guy, i hopped back on and finished, needless to say NOT hitting the double the rest of the remaining laps,

i must have ad an extra 100lbs of mud on me and the bike, if it wasnt so cold it would have been kinda fun

atvrulz

#6 Post by atvrulz »

Do you notice an increase in performance with your airfilter setup, compared to stock? That sounds like the ultimate test to determine if that air filter setup, can withstand woods racing.

Bags

#7 Post by Bags »

I put the sensor directly into the side of the filter in the rubber boot above the clamp. I really cannot tell a gain or a loss in power. I actually just like how it makes everything in the front more accessible. Now I can get to the wires and stuff in the front easily and wash everything from the top down.

EuroGOD

#8 Post by EuroGOD »

Dumb question, I know but...
How was the induction noise? Were parents holding their children so they didn't get sucked in?
I wanna know...

Bags

#9 Post by Bags »

You can definitly hear the engine breathing now. It makes a sort of whistling sound that turns into a deep sucking sound upon revving. I can still put the cover that goes over the gas tank cap on and this deflects the sound alot and keeps rain out of the filter. I did try putting a plastic bag near the filter to see how much it sucked in. The bag never really stuck to the filter at any given time, like it was not needing that much air. I'm sure if you wrapped a bag all the way around it, it would choke it out though.