What have I got myself into..!?

danyeo

#11 Post by danyeo »

Cool, another Dale in NJ. FOrget about Pompton Honda. I went in there and i asked them if their quads had the updates done to them and they had no clue what i was talking about. They don't care as long as they get you out the door with one of their quads then you gotta spend the BIG BUCKS. Screw them. Up route 23 is a smaller shop and they know the machine a better from what i got from talking to them, it's called Town and County. It's just SOuth of High Point State Park.
Does your Dale have the stage 8 and oil vent hose updates done? DOn't put it off like me for to long. As far as your problems the guys here know a lot and your better off gathering info here rather than getting ripped of by Pompton. Once were all set we gotta ride some time or take a trip out to Tower when this Damm WInter breaks up a little.:head:

Derno24

#12 Post by Derno24 »

Originally posted by thomez
Euro has also recommended holding onto the sensor to fool it into being warmer just to see if that is the problem. Just a thought.

One problem that this makes no sense. The bike is running lean not rich. Making it warmer will tell the computer to take fuel away not add it. Making it colder should make the bike run richer.

thomez

#13 Post by thomez »

I meant it would work to see if the sensor was working at all.... I think... :confused:

Listen to him on this one biggrin.gif

00Honda400EX

#14 Post by 00Honda400EX »

My bike did the same thing last time I had it out. I pulled the plug and it looked to be running a bit rich. It wasn't gassy but it wasn't a nice brown like it should be. I still haven't got my D&M kit working so I haven't been able to do anything about it yet. I'm hoping to have time today to mess with it.

Derno24

#15 Post by Derno24 »

The plug you really have to look at. I thought mine was running rich until I showed it to a mechanic. The plug was all black, except for the tips were brown. He explained that yes it was running lean. This is how I found out what was going on.

As for the quad having cold weather problems. My guess is this. I think when they set the quads/bikes the room wasn't temp controled. Meaning a really hot day would affect the injector settings. The temp sensor makes minor adjustments, but not drastic. Meaning if the optimum AFR is 12-12.5 and when it was hot. When it gets cold the computer doesn't compensate enough to correct the heavier air. Fooling the ecu to think it is warmer will make the bike run leaner. I would think holding an ice cube to the sensor would be the right thing. Make it way colder than what it is out. The problem with the system is that it won't make drastic changes. What we should have ben told is that a D&M kit is required to keep your quad/bike in great running order.

Thomez when Euro made that suggstion before he was just stabbing in the dark. The real way to test is in the efi manual. It explains in detail how to test the sensor with a tester. Not much more work if you are already in the airbox.

LRD 400ex

#16 Post by LRD 400ex »

Thanks for all the input. I'm going to try everything. The "D&M kit", is that the Diagnostics and Maitenance kit for the computer thing? Where do i get it? Is it worth it? Also do these problems sound like it could be anything more serious than a plug or swelling o-rings or w/e? Like could this be an internal problem or electronical? I sure hope not. As soon as everythings right and this **** snow is gona i'm def up for a ride if any local guys wanna go. Thanks i'll keep u guys posted.

Derno24

#17 Post by Derno24 »

The D&M kit is what you mentioned. You can get it from Haydug or Cdaleparts.com or straight from optimum. It is worth it to get this then you can change maps and set your injector settings for optimum performance.

What you are describing doesn't sound like an internal problem. It might take you alot of trial and error before you figure it out though.

I know Danyeo and we ride together occassionally also 02 Cannibal isn't too far from us either. A trip to Tower sounds like it is in the works.

drbowtie

#18 Post by drbowtie »

LRD...

Keep it simple first...

Clean the air filter properly, make sure to reinstall correctly there is an up and a down (round side up!)

Then change the fuel filter! I have to change mine almost everytime I ride not to experience some hesitation.

Remove fuel tank to replace plug and make sure that the connections for the fuel are not swollen shut from race gas or anything...

New plug...

Make sure all fluids are topped off...

Make certain good seal on spark plug boot...

Let warm up until any popping noises or so forth go away...

Then give her a run!

Should be fine... I have the exact same machine! I really enjoy it and at bone stock it runs perfect!

What production number is yours? Mine was 159! (its the last three digits of your vin#... Mine (#159) had all internal updates so no worries.

LRD 400ex

#19 Post by LRD 400ex »

050 is the last numbers in my vin.. does that mean my was the 50th 03 speed made? Also on Cannondaler.com when i got all my info for my quad (a lot of which i couldnt understand with all the thottle offset, max throttle, min throtttle,etc.) under "Program" on the spread sheet, mine is the first listed that says "old dealer cal" (which is number 90 on the spreadsheet). what does this mean?

I'll go through everything you said. This problem is very interminent. It worked fine all weekend except today. And yesterday i rode it the longest i ever have conecutively because i havnt taken it out of my yard yet and i went to the local pits for a while,and i had no problems. But today it was hesitating so i just put it away. Well thanks for all the information.