cdale or 400ex?

danyeo

Re: cdale or 400ex?

#11 Post by danyeo »

Originally posted by jcmpunk
Hey,
Before I get flamed off the board, I know a cdale will smoke a stock 400ex, but that is not what I am going to ask. What I am going to ask is what will be better for me?

I am going to be riding desert, dunes, and a bit of mx track just for fun. I really want I dale, but the maitenence, avaibility, and sheer power are what is holding me back. I want to be able to soundly beat my brother's lt250r, and I don't know if a 400ex can do that. If I bought a 400ex, it would most likely have engine work done to it though.

My question is, will a cdale be to much for me? I am not a first timer, but I wouldn't consider myself a accomplished rider. What do you guys think? Could I be happy with a 400ex, or would I tire of it quickly? I am asking you guys because, from what I have seen, you guys aren't as biased as some other boards.biggrin.gif  Anyway, thanks for listening to my rants! later

If you get a 400ex for desert and dune riding get used to the taste of sand in your mouth because that 250 2 stroke will kill you if he has mods like a pipe. The 400ex is great for trails and tracks and jumping but it is down on power and you will get bored since you said your a decent rider. My old Blaster wasn't that much slower than my 400ex. If you get a Dale the people on this board and VERY helpful and very freindly. Just make sure you get the stage 8 update, vent hose update, and motor mount updates done and keep you oils changed, the fuel filter changed. Changing the sparkplug takes a little practice but no big deal after a few times, and the air box is nice and high. The Dale is right there with the YFZ and trx450r and you can get one for thousands less. and remember if you think the power is too much just don't push down so hard. LOL:usa :head:

jcmpunk

#12 Post by jcmpunk »

The ds is too big for me. I won't be getting a stock ex unless I can't find anything else. Do you guys really think that the lt would beat a 440ex?

danyeo

#13 Post by danyeo »

Originally posted by jcmpunk
The ds is too big for me. I won't be getting a stock ex unless I can't find anything else. Do you guys really think that the lt would beat a 440ex?

GO here.
http://www.dunereview.com/waldenvideos.htm

This particular 400ex gets waxed bad twice. The 440 would be closer to the lt, maybe it could take it, depends on the mods of the 250.:drink:

440EX4ME

#14 Post by 440EX4ME »

Great thread, and I am not suprised that it didnt end up geting crazy since this is about the most levelheaded site I post on.

Now I dont want to start any arguments etc but I think a lot of the guys (myself included) forget what our machines were like before we got them "set up" or modded etc. (sorry for the disclaimer but been seeing to much bs on other sites lately lol)

I mean this for both the overall performance of the stk 400ex as well as the cannondale.

Both are good machines stock, but I know I woudnt be happy with either in stock form. But the cannondale would be a much faster and stronger performer all around if comparing stk to stk.

The main advantages to the cannondale are the engine and its ability to make excelent power allmost effortlessly, and the overall higher tech of the whole quad once you start modding it, plus you dont need to dive into the engine (if you got a good one with the updates etc) at all since it has more than enough power.

As much as I like my ex it wasnt a killer when I first got it, and it has taken a lot of time, work and $$$ to get it where I like it. I know for a fact that from what you are telling us you would be happy with a "properly" built or set up 440, and the set up is the trick. I wont get into the details now but there are both good and bad 440's out there and the difference is extreme.

Now I am not saying you wouldnt be happy with the c-dale as I think you would be with one also, but I want to try and better explain the difference(s) between them etc.

For a comparison I will share an experience I had at a c-dale demo day about 1-1/2 years ago.

To get a fair feel for this comparison of my 440ex to the moto I rode you have to know that I had just recently got my engine straightend out and was still running a slightly small cam, but it was running very well etc, and I was still getting the elka suspension dialed in. My quad is also set up for XC (+1 a-arms etc) so its not as wide as the moto either.

The demo was at a smaller ride park in NJ that has a track with 2 smaller (about 25-30ft) and one larger (say 60ft I am not good with judging etc) table top jumps plus some unintentional rather large braking bumps and a couple of smaller things I will call pain in the butt bumps LOL.

Well the EX does well on this terrain as its very plush in the suspension and you dont get beat up at what ever speed etc, the power of the 440 is decent for this too but it was set up for low end grunt and doesnt run the corners like a two stroke etc. but you can approach the jumps a gear low and it will just rip up the face etc. and the handling of the honda is very good also so there are not any unusuall or scary things happening either. At this point the power and handling of my quad were well beyond my own skills. LOL

A stock 400ex will not be the same as what I described as this is a fairly well modded machine, and you would expect a more fatiguing or rougher ride and a need to keep the rev's up more etc. and it will not have the power or pull of either the 440ex or the cannondale, but can be very ridable with just basic intake, exhaust and some suspension mods.

Now the moto that I rode that day was very different from both the stk and my modded ex. The engines power comes on a little later and hits harder in the higher rpm's plus it is capable of higher revs too, and it seemed a little stronger overall than the 440 and in a different world than the stk 400. The 440 still had an edge on the low end but once the c-dale started to rev up it was a screamer. Now you have to understand that it had the moto map as well so that could make a big difference to what you may purchase but also can allways be changed towhat you like etc.

The moto also liked to be ridden harder or at a higher rpm than both the hondas, and this was more evident in the corners that approached the small table tops. Where you could lug thru the gear on the 440 the moto wanted to be down shifted and have the rpms rocking, and it landed better when pushed harder also.

The one corner that had the erosion problem that caused natural braking bumps was handled best by the aftermarket suspension on the 440ex, the moto was good here too but the feedback was much more intense and it was enough to cause you to take it a little slower than you could with the 440ex (this could be from the basic set up of the two and that there smaller bumps are more of what you could compare to typical XC stuff, plus the no link rear on the c-dale does work differently on the smaller stuff) and the 440 did come out of the corners with a little more pull but as soon as the moto got reving it was flying.

It was really a interesting quad and the first c-dale I had ridden etc and I was impressed, but as you see I still have the Honda and there are some reasons for this.

First is that its easy, I mean easy to maintain, ride, mod and just about everything etc. Honda does engineer a lot of reliability and ease of maint into their products, and we have to atleast give them that. Part of it was economics and I had paid for the honda and all the mods at this point and it was finally performing to a level I was liking.

I think the main thing that kept me from purchasing the c-dale was that I had a better handling machine and though the c-dale had more power it wasnt power that would be as obvious or useable in a XC type terrain and actually I think it wouldnt be power that was useable in many areas that I wanted it but it was deff pumping out some ponies for sure. So I would be needing to update to aftermarket suspension on this one if I was to make the switch (another **** 2500.00 )

Now that is what I thought then, and things have changed a lot since that time. There are lots of other machines avail and with the problems at cannondale there has not been much advancement beyond the updates to correct previous problems. The main thing that has changed in my mind is that the price on the used and remaining new c-dales has become extrememly competitive. Plus there are a fair amount of modded ones in the used market that are also priced very right.

On the other hand used 400ex's have been going for peanuts also, and you can find one for less than the mods that are on it, but if you dont open up the engine and spend some $$$ on the suspension you wont be anyware near the performance of the cannondale.

So you have a tough decision to make but either way I think you will be happy and unless you get a stk bore 400ex with minimal mods I dont think you will have to many problems with the lt230 especially once you get the suspension set up and are not as concerned with the flat straight races etc. Remember that untill all the major pro riders moved on to other machines they were able to keep ahead of most everything else.

Sorry that was so **** long

But hope it helped answer some questions you may have wink.gif

jcmpunk

#15 Post by jcmpunk »

Dude, thanks for your post that will help me out a lot. About the 440ex for sale in my area, one of them says that is a 440 kit with a cam and head, the other says ims 440 kit with edlebrock carb. The first one is cheaper.

There is also this other quad with a edlebrock carb high performance cam, rev box, kn filter, and pipe. If I bought this one and got tired of the power, could I just stick a big bore kit in it (for like 300) since it already has a carb and cam?

I am thinking that I will just wait and see in a month or so (when I have about 4000) what I can get, cannondale or nice ex, and go from there. Either way, you guys have helped me out a lot!

4punksdad

#16 Post by 4punksdad »

I have owned all of the above. 400ex, LT250R and c-dale.

stock for stock the LT and the 400ex are a pretty close race. The LT handles a little better due to the lower center of gravity.

a pipe on the LT will change everything..........and put it in the lead.

If dunes and some track time are your preference and you want to dust your brother,,,,,,,,,,,,why not opt for one of the newer 450 machines?

If money is a concern I agree with one of the above posts about considering a Z400 or one of its cousins.

the c-dale is hands down quicker than all of these options.

jcmpunk

#17 Post by jcmpunk »

Well, the reason I won't opt for a z400 is because it is only a little better than an ex (stock vs. stock), but it is a heck of a lot more expensive. The same with a 450 over a cdale.

Besides, the ex's I am looking at wouldn't be stock.

cdalepilot

#18 Post by cdalepilot »

how much experiance do you have riding quads ? are you mechanically inclined.? if not ,leave the cdale alone.

jcmpunk

#19 Post by jcmpunk »

Is there more maitinence on one than a 2stroke? I am not going to be racing it, so it won't take as much wear on it.

cdalepilot

#20 Post by cdalepilot »

i was just reading through this thread , i'm almost speechless ; there is no way in h*ll that you can compare any of those other machines to a cdale. ive rode them all also. when your piloting a cdale you are riding on the edge so to speak which is a feeling i love. as far as the engineering and the ergo's, the cdale sits on top of the mountain all by itself ;rev cyl. engine ,cassette transmission ; aluminum twin spar frame that is hand welded ; magura fully hydraulic adj. clutch ; efi ;arens steering stem ; aluminum race shifter and brake pedal . galfer stainless brake lines and rotors/talon, itp rims and tires on some,out of the crate high compression ratio a high rev limit that you can adjust via pc ;linkless swingarm;in-frame oil reservior ''point blank no comparison''