Indy dealer show

Swampdale

#101 Post by Swampdale »

A quote from a past press release:

Pegasus plans few changes to Cannondale's bicycle business, which remained profitable throughout the Company's motorsports efforts. Pegasus will move forward with Cannondale's existing staff, facilities, dealer network and overall strategy in the U.S. and at its European, Japanese and Australian subsidiaries. Pegasus plans to sell Cannondale's motorsports assets.

David Uri, a Partner at Pegasus, explained why no other significant changes are planned. "Cannondale's difficulties were not related to its bicycle business," said Uri. "The problems came from its motorsports effort. The bicycle division has remained profitable, which is a stunning accomplishment given the burden and distraction that motorsports imposed."

"We have no desire to disrupt a winning formula," continued Uri. "As we've said before, our job now is to support and supplement the existing Cannondale team to allow them to concentrate on what they do best - designing, manufacturing and marketing lightweight, high-performance bicycles for the specialty retail market."

Running out of money relative to a project budget or deciding when to quit....Never the less, their motorsports division proved to be not profitable utimately because of poor management and poor marketing(lack of customers). I applaud them for trying though. They had a profound effect on the industry as we know it. Filing chapter 11 was soley to divest a losing proposition for them. They have always been a market leader in their core business and my guess is they will continue. That's pretty strong for a US based company competing against Asian companies such as Giant Bicycles. Now, if somebody like ATK contracts Cannondale to manufacture the frame (Aluminum Frabrication being their core business and expertise), and somebody else to supply an engine, maybe we'll have something.

Swampdale

#102 Post by Swampdale »

How many people ride stock machines? That depends on your definition of "Stock". New tires, shock wears, handle bars and graphics don't constitute hopping up. I'm talking about $1500 front end, $1000 rear shock, $1500 in wheels and tires and $3000 in an engine to make a machine competitive. Your average consumer of a sport quad does not spend that type of money nor even knows he can spend that type of money on his machine.

As for utility quads, thats another market, and yes, big dollars are spent on bigfoot kits and swampers. Being in Louisiana, I'm amazed by what these people spend on their 4x4s. Although I rarely see a 16 year old with 10K worth of fourwheeler.

My point in all this is: If Honda's "marketing machine" saw a market they would have dove in long ago. Maybe the market for high end race machines will evolve? I hope so.

No hard feelings Derno. I'm directly involved with engineering, sales and marketing on a global basis. I developed a crusty attitude over the last few years due to foreign manufacturing and it's effects on the US. I love a debate too.

pdavis

#103 Post by pdavis »

i agree with Derno24, cannondale ran out of money, the customer base was picking up, at least on the quad side,and after our friends at pegasus took over and liquidated the motorsports division, they stayed on to run the bicycle division, and what always happens in a corprate restructuring, the big salaries are let go, so the montgomery's are no longer in the mix, i have waited to post on the DINLI.
i was there, i talked to Justin, and like Ben said they were standard pitches, but i am also intrigued to see if what he told me comes to life, what i was told is that the quad you see in those pics is there trail model that will come with a 500cc motor, trail/mud tires and have reverse, also the plastic you see, will be riding lower than the pics, (front fenders about 6" lower than in the pics) the rear fenders will be 2 halfs, so if you break off the right rear, you only have to replace the right rear half,

the "race version" will be a 450 and will have all the smaller tires suited for racing, assuming it will be XC and it will also have reverse, same tranny in both, they are in negotations with optimum, but dont have a contract as of yet, and then in the middle of 05 they will introduce the "moto" that will be wider and all the "motocross stuff"
lets not lose sight that this was only a show to give people an idea what this thing will look like and that it wasnt a final product,
i have put things together for drag racing shows and they are just usually "mock ups"
the "trail version" as you see it will be called the speed
the 450 " race quad will be the cannible
and when i asked him about pricing, he said it will be about $1,000 less than the yzf 450 there is more and if you would like to ask me some questions shoot me a PM, i dont claim to know everything, and everyone has an opinion, but i think that alot of people where hoping to see a finished product

EuroGOD

#104 Post by EuroGOD »

Originally posted by pdavis
The plastic you see, will be riding lower than the pics, (front fenders about 6" lower than in the pics) the rear fenders will be 2 halfs, so if you break off the right rear, you only have to replace the right rear half,

the "race version" will be a 450 and will have all the smaller tires suited for racing, assuming it will be XC and it will also have reverse, same tranny in both, they are in negotations with optimum, but dont have a contract as of yet, and then in the middle of 05 they will introduce the "moto" that will be wider and all the "motocross stuff"
lets not lose sight that this was only a show to give people an idea what this thing will look like and that it wasnt a final product.

Now that was a great response and good news. Now I think I'll just sit back and take it as it comes :drink: :drink:

USAMoto00

#105 Post by USAMoto00 »

Okay back to more pictures! Those plastics look an awful lot like Suzuki Hayabusa plastic from the '99 & '00 model. Color needs changed for sure! I guess I am dissappointed knowing that they have monitored this site and know what would interest us and we get a "mock up" of a quad. Nothing will touch what we already have. I guess that is what keeps ringing in my mind. Just my 2 pennies.

pdavis

#106 Post by pdavis »

justin also told me that the guy who designed the plastic also did a few other artist renditions that they arent sure they will use as other models or other years

USAMoto00

#107 Post by USAMoto00 »

What ever happened to the plastic from the '04 prototype from Cannondale? That plastic was bad *ss!

pdavis

#108 Post by pdavis »

that was before godzilla and the transformers got ahold of it

dvrack

the 04 dale plastic????????

#109 Post by dvrack »

smile.gif Good point I thought the reason the 04 dale plastic wasn't available was because Dinli was going to use it, if they aren't maybe ATK might use it but they wouldn't be massed produced so why can't we get it I would get a set. Buehler buehler anyone. Maz can you get it?????

Thanks Dave

USAMoto00

#110 Post by USAMoto00 »

I would definately jump on a few sets of that plastic, it was sweet! If I remember correctly it was replaceable by the piece too.