About Fed Up

EricM

About Fed Up

#1 Post by EricM »

I have a 2003 cannibal, i got it right before the bankruptcy (so I paid full price), and the crank went out with only 40 hr and the shavings took care of every thing else. I am a broke engineering student and work nights and weekends to pay for school and I have scrapped together money and bought parts since last summer to rebuild it. Well, I finally got it finished last week after driving an hour and a half each way to my parents house to work on it at night instead of sleeping. After getting everything done it started right up and seemed fine though it was idling very fast so I slowed that down. It was late so I called it a night very pleased. Last Tuesday night I went home loaded up and went to my friend??????????????????s house to ride. I made it about 15 min and going into a turn it bogged down so I down shifted it was still bogging so I down shifted again until I was stopped and it was dead and that was the last time it has ran (it also took 2 hours to walk to my vehicle and drive it to my quad). It backfires occasionally but doesn??????????????????t even attempt to start.

I checked the spark it was fine, but I put a new plug in anyway, the fuel pump is working and when I cranked the motor over without a spark plug it sprayed a mist of fuel out. So I assumed the problem to be electrical. I took it to a dealer they said the battery was bad and it was out of time, charged me $140 and sent me on my way this was yesterday, the new battery doesn??????????????????t crank the motor any faster or longer than the old one so I don??????????????????t see how it was bad but I guess I will take their word for that. My dad and I spent about 6hr last night dropping the engine, making sure the timing was right and putting it back together and as soon as I hit the button It let out the biggest backfire yet and almost deafened us. So what is the deal? The thing ran fine for 15min and now nothing. I have put so much time and money in this thing for very little riding and I have pretty much had it. I still have at least 3 years of payments. I am putting no more money in it and very minimal time to try things but any help would be great. Thanks.

TheJaspMan

#2 Post by TheJaspMan »

Don't get frustrated just yet. I'm sure some of the guys here can offer some suggestions.

Here is my take:

Backfiring is when the fuel-air mix burns back towards the carburettor, resulting in flames/sparks out the top of the engine

Afterfiring is when the fuel-air mic continues to burn towards the exhaust manifold, resulting in flames/sparks out the exhaust

Afterfiring is commonly mistaken for backfire - and both are usually caused by sticky valves or build up of carbon etc in the head of the engine.

The fact that this is happening tells me you are getting fuel and spark. The question is if you are getting too much fuel, too much air or it's firing at the wrong time. That could be an ECU problem. Definitly something to check with a D&M kit. (right?)

What worries me is the sudden bogging and then these problems. That would make me worry a gasket or seal went out. Did you replace all the engine gaskets during rebuild?

Does that make sense to anyone else?

haydug

#3 Post by haydug »

WV ???? :confused:
What dealer hosed you in WV??
I am also in WV. Please bring this thing to me, we will get it fixed for you.
Don't give up!!

pdavis

#4 Post by pdavis »

you know how them people are in WV, you got pretty lips boy,
if you ever hear any banjo music, run ... run like the wind sad.gif

tongue.gif tongue.gif tongue.gif

EricM

#5 Post by EricM »

I am in Morgantown i go to wvu, they kind of got me on this trip but they have taken pretty good care of me. My quad is at my parents house 1.5 hrs away plus the trip to you (my roommate in the dorm was from Pt Pleasant and it was a fairly long trip) but it would be worth it to get it running. I am literally beyond broke i had to pay my bill with a credit card and i have rent due in a week so I have to work tomorrow night and friday night. Someone on another forum suggested checking the flywheel key so if that isnt it i may bring it to you.

cannondale27

#6 Post by cannondale27 »

I bet that you adjusted your idle before it was fully warm.It is supposed to idle really fast when cold.That is why after 15 minutes it died.Idle was to low after it got warm.Your year old gas in the tank could also be a problem.My bet is on idle not set right and probably a loose connection somewhere.

EricM

#7 Post by EricM »

Also I have realized the more that I travel the more I love WV, the weather, the mountains and friendly people (many who are extremely well educated). My parents live near Canaan Valley where there are 2 ski resorts and I meet a lot of tourists and they all praise the place most of the houses at the ski resorts are owned by people from other states who love to come here and get away. So I guess if you are afraid then you should stay down there in America??????????????????s nursing home.

TheJaspMan

#8 Post by TheJaspMan »

Originally posted by cannondale27
I bet that you adjusted your idle before it was fully warm.It is supposed to idle really fast when cold.That is why after 15 minutes it died.Idle was to low after it got warm.Your year old gas in the tank could also be a problem.My bet is on idle not set right and probably a loose connection somewhere.

Good point. It would also be a good idea to put a new fuel filter in ASAP.

EricM

#9 Post by EricM »

The gas is fresh with a little octane boost. I agree i shouldnt have messed with the idle so soon but it started right up 3 days later and i was on the throttle when it bogged and died so that has nothing to do with the idle, but any input helps narrow things down.

EricM

#10 Post by EricM »

Fuel filter is a brand new fram.