need help homies!!!!!!

justfine

need help homies!!!!!!

#1 Post by justfine »

I have a 2000 jeep cherokee sport. I have been shopping for new speakers to replace the rear stock ones. I have been told they were two different sizes. I hear 51/4 and 61/2. can anyone shed any light on this? Your help is really appriceated. Also anyone know where I can get some install help pics?

justfine

well....

#2 Post by justfine »

Most sites I find says 6 1/2, and the speakers seem to fit pretty good, so I would guess they will work. There are no instructions with the speakers(they are sony). This is a really silly question, but does it matter what speaker I put on the right or left side? Also, is the red or white wire the positive one? Neiter is marked. thanks for any help again.

Derno24

#3 Post by Derno24 »

You need pics to install. Usually I just search the door for the clips and screws and use a screwdriver to loosen all of the above. Pull panel off and there you go. If you want to be more advanced you can run new lines from the dash back, but it is easier to just tap into the exsisting hookup to the stock speaker. Get wire taps and you are good there. I don't know about size, but Crutchfield.com is good for sizing info. It will let you know which is direct and which is adapter speakers.

thomez

#4 Post by thomez »

And it doesn't matter which you put right or left, just as long as they are wired correctly. If you use your stock wiring this is guaranteed.

Mjollnir

#5 Post by Mjollnir »

The red wire should be positive, but here's a cool trick I used to use when I did car stereos:

Take both wires from the speaker and put one on the negative side of an regular battery (AA, D, C, whatever), then watch the cone of the speaker and touch the other wire to the positive side of the battery. If the cone moves out, then you have the polarity correct. If it moves in, you're backwards.

It doesn't matter which side is which as far as which side of the vehicle the speakers are installed on.

Here's another tip - the better you can seal up the air on the back side of the speaker, the better bass response you will get. I used to use foam baskets behind the speakers in order to isolate it. You can get those from Crutchfield.

Marc

Derno24

#6 Post by Derno24 »

MJ still impressin me tonight!!!!:clap:

Mjollnir

#7 Post by Mjollnir »

Can I get a WHOOP WHOOP!?

hehehe. That one was for the younger crowd. biggrin.gif

justfine

Thanks guys.....

#8 Post by justfine »

I got them installed. Sounds good too. I blew up my last ones. I guess I was "GETTIN TOO JIGGY".......LOL Anyway, thanks for all your help. It is a testiment to how good you people are on this site that I would come to you first for help. It is also a testiment to how good that you guys are that you did not make fun of me for not knowing how to hook some simple speakers up. I will allow you guys to take some free shots at me for this one....sad.gif Thanks again....

justfine

hmmmmm

#9 Post by justfine »

I feel as cool as this guy....

cdrookie

#10 Post by cdrookie »

isn't that derno?tongue.gif tongue.gif