Finished Status Light Project

garysol1

#61 Post by garysol1 »

Well finished my project and here is what I learned.

1. Radio shack sucks.
2.The only 4 wire wire they had was single core telephone. You bend it and it breaks. I have to go back and rewire all of that with plain ole multi strand wire.
3.Do not mount them in the triple clamp cover. Cant see them. It would be ok for Diagnostics after the fact but not while riding.
4. I could not get the pins to work that radio shack has so I hard wired it into the harness behind the plug. No biggie.

garysol1

#62 Post by garysol1 »

sitting on bike

TheJaspMan

#63 Post by TheJaspMan »

OK just a couple of things:

First Gary you're a freak! You did this entire project today. Haven't you learned that projects like this require days and days alone in the garage with beer and a portable TV?

Next it looks good except who wants to know they have a problem while riding? Isn't NOT knowing your engine is going to blow much more entertaining?

And 'yes', Radio Shack sucks.

garysol1

#64 Post by garysol1 »

ok, redone with muti strand "soft" wire. I feel much better about this. The only I dont like about mounting them in the hood is the long lenth of wire needed to remove the hood....so......... I need to find a very low impediance plug. I used to use a 4 prong gold "deans" plug back in my r/c car days so maybe that will work. Thanks for the all the help Jaspman

TheJaspMan

#65 Post by TheJaspMan »

Originally posted by garysol1
ok, redone with muti strand "soft" wire. I feel much better about this. The only I dont like about mounting them in the hood is the long lenth of wire needed to remove the hood....so.........  I need to find a very low impediance plug. I used to use a 4 prong gold "deans" plug back in my r/c car days so maybe that will work. Thanks for the all the help Jaspman

Looks good!!!

I think one of those RC connectors would work good.

Did you see what I ment about the silicon on the rubber LED boot? I thought maybe they would stay in. But after a while they loosen up.

garysol1

#66 Post by garysol1 »

I used super glue..smile.gif we shall see. I may even throw some JB Weld on the back of them

Originally posted by TheJaspMan
Looks good!!!

Did you see what I ment about the silicon on the rubber LED boot? I thought maybe they would stay in. But after a while they loosen up.

Derno24

#67 Post by Derno24 »

Looks good....

Pro400EXC

#68 Post by Pro400EXC »

Hey Gary,

could you shopw me a pic of your plug set-up and so on?

Also whats this multi strand this multi tap flux capacitator stuff ya'll are talking bout?lol

Were can I get all this since the "Shack" sucks?

garysol1

#69 Post by garysol1 »

if you look at the very first postings of this thread you will see the plug pics..........I just ordered a bunch of the factory pins and the $100.00 crimping tool so I can do it the right way. I am probably going to make a bunch of these up...as plug and play as possible. if you are interested. PM me for info.smile.gif

02Cannibal

#70 Post by 02Cannibal »

I realize Radio Shack sucks for parts, so keep in mind that the instructions are just the parts and methods I used to do mine. The lights are powered by 12 VDC, so any 12 volt lamp will work. The resistors are used only because you need to drop the voltage to the LEDs. If you can find some 12VDC lamps, you wouldn't need them.

The intent of the project was to get something close to what Optimum sells for less than $20.