moto starting

MotoRacer

moto starting

#1 Post by MotoRacer »

I washed my moto the other day..the temp around here is about 40 degress F. IT started fine before I cleaned it. I dryed it off halfway through cleaning, and it started fine, and then i finished cleaning it, and then it would not start. I figured i got something wet, but i tried again tonite, and it wouldn't start. When I push the start button it sounds like the battery is dying. Any suggestions what it is before i tear it down tomorrow morning? thanks for your help.

Moto

LapTraffic

#2 Post by LapTraffic »

Test your battery, check it with a voltmeter, you can get these at Radio shack for under 10 bucks, they are very handy.

If youre under 12v I would put it on a charger. I remember reading that there are operating issues with the ECU under a certain voltage, if youve cranked on it awhile it's under 12v I promise.

If youre above 12v and it still doesnt start, change your plug.

Hope this helps.

Redman

#3 Post by Redman »

If you don't run your cannondale for a while after shutting it off it will not charge your system. Hook up a battery charger to it.

Redman

#4 Post by Redman »

I bought basically the same charger. For marine and motorcycle automatic trickle charger from walmart for $29.

311racer

#5 Post by 311racer »

i had the same thing happen to me. i charged the batt. and it still didn't start. i had to change the spark plug and it started right up!

so after charging the batt. and it still won't start check the plug!

MotoRacer

#6 Post by MotoRacer »

i changed the plug, and put in a one level higher heat spark plug. I charged the battery, and checked all the wires to make sure they were all plugged in. STARTED RIGHT UP.. NOT PROBLEM! Thanks for everyones help.

Moto

Mjollnir

#7 Post by Mjollnir »

I bought a float charger from Harbor Freight for like $15. Just hook it up when you park the bike and forget about it. It delivers a regulated 13.5 volts, so it keeps the battery topped off and ready to go.

Marc