Question

panamaniac

Question

#1 Post by panamaniac »

I have a 2003 cannondale and i have never done any of the updates, Mine was one of the last baches produce, is iy posible that cannondale had made the updates. I have race it at least 10 races, but thats it not to many hours on it. and i have neverr had a single problem.-
Thanks

thomez

#2 Post by thomez »

there is no way to know if you have a stud update unless you just pull the clutch cover and look.

I think it will still need motor mount too

And you should also change your coolant.

panamaniac

#3 Post by panamaniac »

I do change my oil every race and coolant

we had a cannondale bike and instale the stage 8 and it was so hard to take nuts and bots the were full of a kind lock tie.

si we did not change mine,,.

JeffQuadShop

#4 Post by JeffQuadShop »

All you need todo is locktite all those bolts and do the motormount update.

NRath

#5 Post by NRath »

No one can say for sure that it's fine. It was up to how the person put the cartridge plates in. I have an engine that was put together in Dec. 02. That was within a month of the bankruptcy, so it was at the very end. Anyway, it had the stud update and they definitely knew loctite was important. All the bolt holes were full of loctite. It took me quite a while to get them cleaned out. Because of that I'd say that if you have a stud update, chances are good that your cartridge plate bolts are not going to come out.
Like Thomez said, pull the clutch cover and look for the stud update. If it's there, you can be more comfortable, but you never know, somebody could've forgot to loctite a bolt! If you don't have the stud update, I'd be pulling it apart for a thorough job of loctiting.
Don't forgot to shim your battery tray to keep from rubbing a hole in the battery.

Pro400EXC

#6 Post by Pro400EXC »

Mine was built June 2002 has the regualr allen head bolts,and they are doin ok so far w/ 40hrs on them...

Happyboy

#7 Post by Happyboy »

Pro400EXC,
Mine was built in early 02 also. I recently did the stage 8 update and when I was taking the allen bolts out I was initially impressed with the loctite and the torque. Then I found my first bolt that came off a bit easier than the rest, and NO loctite was visable. Well, I had a total of 3 bolts with no loctite. None were loose, but thats not saying they would be sooner or later.

Pulling the motor really isn't that bad. Just have some patience and take your time. I would suggest spend an hour or so removing stuff and unhooking hoses in the evening, then spend the next day dropping the motor and doing the work and rehook the next day. Just if its your first time. So its not overwhelming. After that, you will see how easy it really is and tear it in and out in a matter of hours.

haydug

#8 Post by haydug »

You probably do have the stud update, which in most cases is good enough. The stage 8 is a fool-proof design if installed correctly. Either is fine WITH loctite. As for the 03 models, they were usually the one's with the worst crank, however I just pulled an 03 motor apart yesterday that had a balanced crank!!I know for a fact the motor has never been apart so it came from the factory that way. You should also have the oil line update installed from the factory as well.

USAMoto00

#9 Post by USAMoto00 »

So, if they started producing '03's in May/June of '02, when were the updates implemented? I just looked at a new '03 LE model with the old color (bone) side cover, no oil line update, yet it had the '03 tank on it. I was work ordered for late June (in the 20's) So does anyone know when and if all the updates were done? As a certain date, I mean?:confused: :usa

thomez

#10 Post by thomez »

Brian, I don't think anyone knows for sure .... I think they put together what they had....

In SoCal I looked at an 02 Speed that had the old, strong case, hydraulic clutch, billet crank.... someone got lucky.

Only way to know for sure is to check them.... there is nothing reliable about the VIN's that I can figure out.