Closest to a cannondale?

440rider

Closest to a cannondale?

#1 Post by 440rider »

Just wanting to know who has experience riding the YZF and the 450R and which bike is the most similar to the dale in power and pull. I have a dale now and probably am going to be selling to get one or the other. Thanks Guys.

NRath

#2 Post by NRath »

I haven't ridden both, but engine wise, I'm sure that nod goes to the YFZ. The Yammie vs C'dale race is a close one. The Honda's are a little on the slow side. Suspension wise may be another story.

danyeo

#3 Post by danyeo »

I rode a 450r this past Friday. It had an HMF full system, rejetted, air box opened up and a 13 tooth front sprocket. I loved it! At first i thought it wasn't pulling as hard as my Dale which has an HMF slipon and Moto/speed map but in a drag race he would get a good lead on me after maybe the first 100 feet, i could never get the holeshot on him. But after that i would walk right past him. seems like i had a good 5-7 MPH over him. ALthough i think the Holeshot issue may have more to do with me than my quad. Although my quad has been a stiff getting through the gears, sometimes getting stuck from 2nd to 3rd i would have to bang it a few times.

4punksdad

#4 Post by 4punksdad »

I have ridden both and I would say the Honda gives a more c-dale like feel in power delivery and set up. I am sure others will disagree, but I will let everyone decide for themselves when I bring the c-dale and the 450R to Jays.

Motoman440

#5 Post by Motoman440 »

After making a few adjustments to the engine and suspension the 450R ain't to far from the Moto I used to own. The throttle response will never be there until the 450R is fuel injected. The power is another thing though. I put an HMF full system and went to only a 125 main jet, up from the stock of 118, and just that little bit really opened up the bottom end!!! The bottom end pulls is alot like the Cannondale but the 450R loses in the top end where my Dale didn't. As for the suspension, I still am running the stock 450R suspension but I put all the preload on it she has and softened up the front and rear comp and rebound. Very nice adjustment!!! I still need to fine tune it from there but I would say the suspension is about equal with the Dale. I have not ridden the YFZ so don't know much about it. Last comment, there still ain't no power like the Dale produces!!!

thomez

#6 Post by thomez »

Honda and Yamaha both do a lot of advertising, and I have yet to see a magazine pick the Honda in a shootout. If it was 50/50 or even 70/30 I think someone would still like the Honda better.... someone! As of yet, nothing.

I've seen them both in action, I was more impressed with the Yamaha...

Go test ride them both and then see which you like. It all depends on what you are doing with it...

440rider

#7 Post by 440rider »

Thanks for the input guys. I need to put my dale up for sale first which i will in a week or so. I will be using whichever quad i deciede on for XC riding/racing. I've been reading about the yzf and it seems like people are have some battery/stator problems. ANy know honda problems? I like both but want something that hits hard like the cannondale does but is reliable. THX

Motoman440

#8 Post by Motoman440 »

Originally posted by 440rider
Thanks for the input guys. I need to put my dale up for sale first which i will in a week or so. I will be using whichever quad i deciede on for XC riding/racing. I've been reading about the yzf and it seems like people are have some battery/stator problems. ANy know honda problems? I like both but want something that hits hard like the cannondale does but is reliable. THX

Side case cover on the kicker side are cracking due to giving it gas while kick starting it. I really don't understand what happens but they are saying if you hit the throttle when starting too much gas gets on the head. Then when you kick the bike if it sparks but not enough to start the bike and due to the extra gas that is on the head but not needed the kicker comes flying back so hard that it will crack the case. I saw some pictures of it at www.trx450r.org of some fellar that did just this. I never touch the throttle when I start mine. Other than that I have not heard of or experienced any other problems. IMO for your type of riding you will love the 450R.

thomez

#9 Post by thomez »

The electical problems on the YFZ are easily solved by a rectifier from Trailtech.

Other problems for YFZ - steering stem, stock arms, swingarm, and subframes are weak. Seat is hard.
Good things - low stance, E-start, kicker available for backup.

TRX problems - don't give it gas on startup or you can crack the case, stock gearing too high, swingarm too short, rear suspension geometry wrong, kick only.
Good things - softer seat and ride, more torque, some heavier duty parts (though increasing weight).

For XC it is a tough call. Either should do fine. If I was picking it would be a YFZ.

4punksdad

#10 Post by 4punksdad »

not sure why anyone is gassing the honda to start it. Just stomp it down one time and she fires up. When its hot, the hot start button is the way to go for sure.