Closest to a cannondale?

440rider

#21 Post by 440rider »

Yeah thomez, you may be right about working on them the same and all the maintenance and I know the Dale is a great machine, but never have I unloaded the dale, turned it on primed the injectors and it fired up right away. It's always an issue to start and unless it's ridden and the rpms are high enought to keep the battery charged. Don't get me wrong after I ride it hard it will fire up right away but cold starting no way, my buds are cranked up and ready to go and I'm either jumping it off the truck or trying to turn it over. Who knows what's next i'll tell you i dont think any other quad has had as many engine updates as the cannondales have had. I love my cannondale but it's unreliable. To many times have i shut it off on a trail and had to get towed out. It runs great now, but I don't want to worry about what's going to happen next which is the way it's been since day 1. I put alot of money into it and I will take a aloss when I sell it and probably wont be as happy with the performance of any other quad as i am with the dale but I just want something that will fire back up after I shut it down. Hey, I can upgrade one of those 450s to run with my dale if not faster and if I have issues there's always a company to back it up or a dealer to work on it! Dales do rule and If i just used it to race i would keep it! Racing you usually only have to start it once and race it and that's it, but for trail riding and hill climbing etc. and starting up and shutting down alot I want something different. Thx guys

Motoman440

#22 Post by Motoman440 »

Ya don't have to remove anything on the 450R to change the plug. Did mine the other day in 5 minutes.

thomez

#23 Post by thomez »

Originally posted by Motoman440
Ya don't have to remove anything on the 450R to change the plug.  Did mine the other day in 5 minutes.

Sorry I read some bad info then. I am positive that you do on the YFZ.

As far as charging, if that is so regular, you have a problem! You need to fix it! Not get a new machine....

You probably need a throttle cal, a battery tender, or maybe you have ate your stator wires away by not doing the update.

I'm not paying an extra 3k to get a lesser machine, but that is up to you.

Everyone rides a Honda or a Yamaha, being part of the pack or the standout is up to you. That's how I look at it.

440rider

#24 Post by 440rider »

I did the stator update and bought a new battery. I don't have any problems anymore the quad runs fine now. It always has run fine it's just the battery set up was bad engineering. It couldnt keep up with the EFI and the fan and especially the lights. As far as throttle calibration i don't have the software to do that and there are no dealers around. I do like the attention the dale gets because yes no one where I ride has one and I think it can hang with the new bikes. I agree it's a kick *** machine but I dont want to worry about what may be the next problem they may find. The quad is in tip top condition I babied it and love it and if I could afford it i would keep it and buy a 450 of some sort. I spent alot in aftermarket parts on this this and I will take a ahit but it has let me down so many times with the battery dying and worrying about charging I don't feel like dealing with it anymore. So you saying on those cannondales you never have to charge the battery and it will start up in one push of the button? I read alot on theis site and I'm not the only one who has had battery issues or stalling or whatever. Yes they were all fixed but I dont want to worry about future probs.

thomez

#25 Post by thomez »

I stick my battery on a tender and it has never failed to start in any conditions - granted I have ridden it about 10 times but some have been for hours in sub-zero tems, stalling it in the woods as I learned how to ride it. 2 pushes of the magic button and I'm going again.

You are convinced to sell, go for it.

USAMoto00

#26 Post by USAMoto00 »

I have never had problems starting mine. It always started right up from a cold start the third prime. After that it would take 2 at the most. Even after a wreck and roll it started on the first push. That's a shame that you've had that many problems.:cry:

440rider

I'll keep the dale!

#27 Post by 440rider »

Dawzie, I think getting the D&M kit is what I plan to do. I have a new battery coming and a new start button, I talked to scooter at Optimum and he said it could be the low throttle that's giving me the prob and being in the hot south. What does ATK do to the motor for $2800. Once I get the bike started I really dont have engine probs (knock on wood). I think the software will help and assist in the maintenance in my machine. THX-D

thomez

#28 Post by thomez »

Originally posted by bknight
im a little :confused: here sorry
if the atv is 5yr old you cant race it no more??

The new production based classes require that the ATV was produced in the past 5 years. You can race in other classes with an old machine, aka the 250r, but the new production based classes have almost eliminated it from the Pro classes and their lower level equivalents. That is why you see so many awesome 250r's for sale pretty cheap right now... they got shot down hard.

440rider - that D&M stands for Diagnostics and Maintenence, you can't do it without the kit!

440rider

#29 Post by 440rider »

Sorry I thought all the diagnostics were dont with the computer. What can I do with out the computer besides oil change, fuel filter and normal maintenance. Can I adjust the throttle position or Idle setting (besides adjusting the knob)? Anything u guys can think of to help me understand this machine better please let me know. I am goin gto purchase the software so I can dial in any changes I'd like at anytime and try out different maps as well. It is easier to get my dale running better than to drop $ in the new quad that i'm not really into ie. the 450's. THX AGAIN -D

thomez

#30 Post by thomez »

I just meant that you can't do proper maintenence WITHOUT the kit. After you get it, it should be easy to get the problems solved...