Fuel pump shot?

Lippy91

Fuel pump shot?

#1 Post by Lippy91 »

My fuel pump seems to still be leaking. I turn the bike on, push the start button, then hear a pop the bike is not turning over and when I look down, gas is coming out of the fuel pump at a good rate. I have tightened the bolt to the fuel out line and now I am just stumped. I don't know if I have fried something when I put the motor back in. BUT I have had it running since I put it back in. Any suggestions would be great. I will try to take pictures if possible.

Lippy91

#2 Post by Lippy91 »

Actually it seems to be leaking out of the bottom washer, so I probably try replacing the washer . Does anyone know the size of the washer. There should be a washer on the bottom and a washer up top..correct?

Speed03

#3 Post by Speed03 »

yes, one on each side of the hose, there very thin washers.

Lippy91

#4 Post by Lippy91 »

Where can I get these washers. I've already been to True Value and Auto Zone and no one has them.

Canniboomer

#5 Post by Canniboomer »

Cannondale part #5001501 is a fuelpump banjo fitting, but don't know if it has the aluminum disc washers. Better to try an industrial fastener supply, as they should have 'em. Be sure to not short across the fuel pump terminals, since always hot and easy to fry the ECU -- everyone says to disconnect first or disconnect battery....worst case scenario would be thin layer permatex to existing washers. Good luck

wistech

#6 Post by wistech »

Dont do the sealant thing . You should be able to get these washers at any parts store. Just dig through thier brake caliper washer selection. They may not be as pretty but they do the same job. And definitly disconnect the battery when messin with the pump.

Lippy91

#7 Post by Lippy91 »

Still squirting out.:mad: Is there a fitting a could have f&*%ed up if I over tightened.

Speed03

#8 Post by Speed03 »

Even with 2 new washers on each side of it??? what I would do to troubleshoot the problem to verify if the washers and bolt and screwed up is switch them with the other side of the pump to find out what your weak part is... let me know what you come up with..

Canniboomer

#9 Post by Canniboomer »

...supposed to be tight, yes....But, did you use 2 wrenches to loosen and 2 wrenches to tighten again? If not, you may have torqued the shaft and hairline cracked it somewhere. Good luck, you HAVE to be getting warmer by now!