Engine failure Polls

SlOoT

#11 Post by SlOoT »

Have an '03 Speed, after 20 hours a bolt came lose. We took engine appart, put green locktite on all bolts and never had a problem since. And crack is still fine. My quad has about 110 hours on it. We change oil every 15-25 hours.

Derno24

#12 Post by Derno24 »

Just a clarification Wade's crank is an ATK crank just gone over by Wade. Sounds to me if you really want to kick this put your deposit on the new falicon crank and be done with it. I am trying to swing the money now!

USAMoto00

#13 Post by USAMoto00 »

Brian J. - Late '02 Moto bought brand new- ran the piss out of her with all stock settings. 20 races on motor with no failures but broke the cases on a BIG jump. They sent me a new '03 (supposedly THE last one from Cannnondale) and added engine mount update with no problems to date. Hpoefully this motor has all the updates done! About 70 races on it and numerous practice hours. Only added Engine Ice and Nac's map.

Late '02 Cannibal - Hyd. clutch bought used- Converted to Moto and settings. Cracked the cases early on. Had that fixed and added motor mount update. No problems till lately when it started blowing oil from the over flow tube. Removed the side cover to discover 3 holes where the bolts backed out. (right in front around the oil filter mount) Not only those bolts but one of the M6 bolts behind the 3rd plastic gear. Scary, but they didn't get caught any place important!

Early '02 Cannibal - Manual clutch - No updates other than motor mount. This bike was bought used and was in very good condition. I missed one thing though. I don't know how it happened, but the seal in the airbox was missing. The motor in turn locked up on a dusty track resulting in a crank, piston, and sleeve needing replaced.

I will be adding Engine Ice to ALL the quads this weekend. The only thing left to do will be the oil line updates.

bphillman

#14 Post by bphillman »

Early 02. Stock crank failed 10/03. Unknown (but relatively high) hours. Winky Crank installed by Champion along with piston sleeve, cart plate, stage 8 ect. Failed after about 10 hrs. Pin plug found missing upon disassembly. Scored new piston/sleeve

Bags

#15 Post by Bags »

Early 02 Blaze
Decompression lever failed and took out exhaust cam and cap.
Winky rebuilt with the works. Oil mixing problem at first-fixed now. Just tore motor down and inspected BEFORE this problem arose on the site, but everything looked good inside the cylinder and crank and all. Hope this does not happen to me or I will no longer own his machine from what **** I have been through. Engine has about 25 Hours on it since Winky rebuilt.

blaze#52

#16 Post by blaze#52 »

ok, heres mine. 2002 blaze, just under one year on it, a couple of nationals on it and alot of district races in it. Stock crank failed, motor went to local dealer(wolfpack) for a rebuild, bought two used stock cranks, both were on the high side of spec. for rod clearence(.015) ran one of them due to there being nothing else out at the time. That crank lasted seven months, one national and several district races. That crank locked up at the first district race of the year. Installed a winkey crank(Stock, cleaned, balanced, and tightened up to spec.) and a 450 kit, have about 10 hours, on it now, one national and one district race, running strong. I am very picky about my maintence, flushed my frame out after last failure, a lot of crap came out. Hoping for the best now.

Derno24

#17 Post by Derno24 »

Ok it is now official. My Winky crank is bad. It didn't totally toast, but thanks to timbomoose I saw the signs and saved some major repair $'s. Scott from champion verified this. I had a stocker in there with no problems before switching for about 100 hrs or more!

blaze#52

#18 Post by blaze#52 »

so what are the signs of the crank going bad? what should we be looking for, metal shavings, irratic idle? just kind of curious

Derno24

#19 Post by Derno24 »

What it was is Brass in the oil filter. The only thing brass in that side of the motor is the thrust washer from the crank. I also noted more vibration than before and what sounded like a hard valve tap. That must have been the crank knocking! I also just had a gut feeling.

CdaleRacer0128

#20 Post by CdaleRacer0128 »

I would like to note that i did NOT have a failure in mY winky crank. i had only a few laps on it, and was hoping it wasn't because of the crank..and it wasnt. so nobody should be afraid of loosing their crank in under a few hours like i did. Because i didnt. I dropped a valve due to not having titanium valve keepers installed, and it blew a hole through my head..sad.gif