Data Logger / D&M Replacement Project

02Cannibal

Data Logger / D&M Replacement Project

#1 Post by 02Cannibal »

This is a link to Cannondaler for a project I have been involved with for a while. Just though it may be of interest to some on this site.

http://forums.cannondaler.com/viewtopic.php?t=5247

Derno24

#2 Post by Derno24 »

Will you coming to frost still? I would like to talk to you more about this. Hope to see you there!

cdalepilot

#3 Post by cdalepilot »

sounds good to me . question ; i know they sell a d&m kit for both pc and pocket pc , but a guy at optimum told that actually the d&m kit is good for both applications . does this sound right ? so you really only need one kit for both applications ?:drink:

Derno24

#4 Post by Derno24 »

Well the software is based on windows platform and the pocket pc they want you to use has windows in it so software wise it makes sense. I have never seen the pc they recommend, but if it has a serial input then yes it would work fine.

nsane

#5 Post by nsane »

The serial interface (assuming you have serial output for your pocket pc) will be the same because serial pinning is standardized, the software will be different as Pocket PC and regular PC code are nowhere near the same.. although I'd assume the activation codes, etc would be portable as I doubt they'd re-write that portion of the code..

02Cannibal

#6 Post by 02Cannibal »

Ron, yeah I am still planning on going to Frost. I will look for you up there and if you buy my Dale we can talk more (Had to throw that in). tongue.gif

As far as the PC and handheld versions, I think the other posts are correct; the code would be different, but you are probably authorized for both the PC and handheld versions when you buy the kit.

Derno24

#7 Post by Derno24 »

Originally posted by nsane
The serial interface (assuming you have serial output for your pocket pc) will be the same because serial pinning is standardized, the software will be different as Pocket PC and regular PC code are nowhere near the same.. although I'd assume the activation codes, etc would be portable as I doubt they'd re-write that portion of the code..

Just curious even if it is windows based. i have seen some programs( small mind you) that can transfer from pc to pocket pc. In this case I think the unit is an ipaq.

kdeal

#8 Post by kdeal »

Derno, you are right it is an IPAQ. First made by Compaq, now the property of HP, as they bought Compaq. I have one, and yes it uses the Windows CE Operating System. The problem would be file size, and I believe the D&M kit software is fairly small. I just don't know how they hook the IPAQ to the computer. It must be some sort of adapter cable to a serial connector.

nsane

#9 Post by nsane »

In the past several series of IPAQ used a serial sync cable (the 36XX and older) before HP moved them to be a full USB sync, so finding a cable that lets the IPAQ talk serial isn't really a challenge..I've got one for my 3700 and 3800 series IPAQs. In the case of moving from PC to IPaq (Windows CE) some applications can just be moved, its specific to the code base they are using and what type of hardware interaction is needed..

Not that any of that has anything to do with what they are trying to do, but hey smile.gif