Should I keep my quad?

JMann2380

Should I keep my quad?

#1 Post by JMann2380 »

Hey guys,

I am up against a wall and quite frustrated. I bought a 02 Speed when they first came out for 8,200 and had some fun with it. I then bought a house and heard Cdale went under, so I decided the smart thing would be to sell it.

Well I sat on it for a while and before I knew it the market was garbage, I couldn't even sell it on the forums here for $3800. I still owe $5500. Now two years has passed, I haven't ridden the bike in almost two years except around the yard once a month. Still has the nipples on the tires.

I mean I pay $250 a month and it sits in the shed, it's a shame, like a shunned child.

I don't know quite what to do, I haven't kept up on the saga lately, so can you guys fill me in. Is the future looking bright?

I mainly haven't ridden it because I am afraid it's gonna fall apart and bust the crank or something. I don't have any of the major updates and I don't want to make a payment on something that is broke and I can't afford to fix.

Should I keep it, sell it? If I keep it what needs to be done to let me sleep at night, how much money?

Thanks,
Josh

jesshamner

#2 Post by jesshamner »

Update it and keep it. You're right...you'll never get what you owe unless you find a sucker.

JMann2380

#3 Post by JMann2380 »

Originally posted by cdembek
Why don't you ride it more often?? Also if you pay $250 a month, and you have had it for 2 years, would that not bring you down to about 3K left??? Post some picks, and list is for 3K or BO.....

I said in my original post that I don't really have the money to get the updates done so I can ride it and if I break then I can't even sale it.

The payment is $189 a month plus $30 for insurance. Interest is 12% rolleyes.gif .

I mean I have been trying, kinda, to sell it for two years, why ride something you need to sell, especially if there is a possiblity that the crank will fail and then you are really up **** creek.

See where I can coming from....

thomez

#4 Post by thomez »

You probably have an 02 pre-ssm case, hydraulic clutch and a billet crank, the best motor Cannondale ever built, and you aren't riding it due to fear. That is a shame.

Jaybr

#5 Post by Jaybr »

Originally posted by thomez
You probably have an 02 pre-ssm case, hydraulic clutch and a billet crank, the best motor Cannondale ever built, and you aren't riding it due to fear. That is a shame.

^^^^What he said^^^^

I paid retail for my 02 Speed in 1/02 and have done nothing but the minor updates and checked the valves a couple times. Still runs strong.

If you have one of these pre-ssm motors you can do $100 worth of updates and ride the thing with no worries.

JMann2380

#6 Post by JMann2380 »

Alright, fill me in, what are the $100 worth of updates? and how can I tell if I have one of the better motors and such?

Thanks guys.

-Josh

Jaybr

#7 Post by Jaybr »

Look for "Cannondale" stamped in the case behind the front sprocket. If it's there, it is an SSM case, if it's not its one of the better motors.

Updates you will need:

Stator wire sheilding
Oil Line update
Fuel Pump terminal boot
Battery tray update
Update to non-corrosive coolant

Motor mount update did not apply to old style case, but is some added insurance.

Check the tech page here for details of all the updates.

cdalerider75

#8 Post by cdalerider75 »

is the stud update included??

monster

#9 Post by monster »

I sold mine out of anger and frustration and i am still regretting it.
since you dont ride much anyway just do one update at a time.The market is bad ATM but there are lots of pple who are doing everything they can to erase these fears and misconceptions many ppl have.

Mjollnir

#10 Post by Mjollnir »

Ride it! Dont be afraid, especially if it has a cast case. If it's just sitting around, if you ride it and it breaks you're not out anything, right?

Call Maz, he is very sympathetic to those of us who paid full price. You can also do the most important update, the stud update, with loctite only. 5 bucks and a Saturday, and that's fixed. THe other one is the motor mount update if you have the SSM case, that's like 30 bucks, and the coolant. All tolled, you'll be out like 60 bucks tops, and if you keep it stock with a stock map after that, I'd bet you'll get years of pleasure out of it.

What is your location? I'll bet there may be someone near you who would be happy to help with the updates if you don't have the skill or tools. If you're in Central Cali, se me a PM, I'd be more than happy to get you rolling.

Marc