While You were ALL at the group ride...

USAMoto00

#11 Post by USAMoto00 »

Mine was torn down further than that just one night before the group ride.smile.gif :usa On a side note, I found those same peculiar cracks on a few people's inner frame rails. Not one side, but both.sad.gif

haydug

#12 Post by haydug »

The only problem with smacking the spindle with a hammer, is it is aluminum and will dent up easily. I loosen the ball joint nut, just to then end of the threads, use a small propane torch to heat the spindle around the ball joint, then smack the nut with a hammer while pulling. It pops right out, and your spindle still looks new.

cdalemx301

#13 Post by cdalemx301 »

Heres the deal i do not need to sa ve my ball joints they can be destroyed the new a arms are heim joints i just need to get the spindle seperated as far as i know the threaded part is connected to the ball joint so i do not need to save this correct or does the threaded part stay on the spindle.....I have found about 5 more cracks in the swingarm now that i have pulled it off

MX Quad Dad

#14 Post by MX Quad Dad »

Originally posted by wanablaze
A little tip Maz taught me at Socaldale:  Grab a hammer and give the spindle (around the balljoint) a good whack while pulling on the a-arms.  May take a few whacks, but should pop right out and you can have the job done in a couple minutes.smile.gif

This works well but I allways put another hammer on the opisite side you are hitting you don't have to hit it as many times or as hard. Also if you have someone to help have them put a little pressure between the knuckle and the a-arm with a prybar

bluntedMXer

#15 Post by bluntedMXer »

well take your balls and your spindle and use your pickle fork to insert it into the axle hole using some lube...make sure to keep it tight and youll be good to ride it everynight.....im sure all u fellow riders kno what i mean...

USAMoto00

#16 Post by USAMoto00 »

Jeez, go to Auto Zone and pay the $6 for that tuning fork or whatever it is and save your spindles from looking like sh*t. It works like butter and no banging anything! I just think you guys like whacking things with:hammer:

jfarrar

#17 Post by jfarrar »

i use the hammer on mine and it hardly leaves a mark.does more damage with the fork by ripping the rubber boot.

USAMoto00

#18 Post by USAMoto00 »

True, I have done that too. Sometimes you get lucky though.

wanablaze

#19 Post by wanablaze »

If I had the time and tools required, I'd do it Doug's way. Instead I hurry up and whack it with a hammer while pulling. It does dent it a little. No assitance needed, though.

On a side note: Marc, you're right, Josh did show us that, and as Maz was leaving he showed Thomez for a second time.

:hammer: :hammer: :hammer:

cannondale27

#20 Post by cannondale27 »

I take two bolts using one with a nut on it and the balljoint nut still on I put the bolt in between the two studs and turn the nut from ball joint against the nut on the bolt then when tight as possible just tap spindle at joint remove the bottom one first.Repeat using the other bolt which is longer.