getting son started in racing

plummer1111

getting son started in racing

#1 Post by plummer1111 »

my 13 year old son wants to start racing in the spring. not to sure what size quad to start him out on. he is almost 6 feet tall and weighs about 120 lbs. all summer long he beat the crap out of a warrior. he would be racing in district 14. any help would be greatly appreciated.

bombsquad54

#2 Post by bombsquad54 »

wow he is tall, in that case any small quad would be too small, i would buy one of haydugs updated atk450s he has a really good deal on them and haydug is a very nice guy. that or find a used cannibal with updates. A bone stock 400ex is also a good cannidate, because they are soooooo reliable, and a great way to start racing. the cannondale you can make faster much easier tho, and handles alot better. those two would be your best bet. if you buy a cannondale he could race it in every class because it doesnt lack in power like a 400ex. in the long run if you dont want to buy multiple quads buy a cannondale and update it, build it maintain it and it will last for a long time and be extremely competitive. Call Haydug Cycles

bombsquad54

#3 Post by bombsquad54 »

excellent idea on starting him racing by the way. my parents did and it kept me out of a lot of trouble and made me learn a lot about responsibility.

plummer1111

#4 Post by plummer1111 »

he is restricted to 200cc two stroke or 300 cc four stroke

bombsquad54

#5 Post by bombsquad54 »

300ex is a great bike, or take the motor out of the 300 and put a crf250 motor in it, ive seen it done. they rip

cannondale27

#6 Post by cannondale27 »

Blaster!

parks9

yfz

#7 Post by parks9 »

get him a yFZ. I started on a YFZ when i was 14. And that is the only bike i have raced. My 14 year old neighbor got his TRX when he was 13 and he rides it pretty good. He's bigger then i am, so i think he could handle a yamaha 450.

CptHook

#8 Post by CptHook »

well if it wasnt for the 200cc-300cc restriction, I would say go with one of the new 400s the kfx or the ltz, they are identical, or the dvx, which I beleive is identical as well except for the plastic. They are great reliable bikes, and can be left as bone stock, or with some money turned into a fromidable racing machine , wasnt doug gust racing a z400? I would agree with the 400ex except for my bias which is they are an outdated machine. All the new machines are liquid cooled, where as the 400ex is still air cooled, and the newer 400s are alot more torquey where as the 400ex just has some decent low end power, but nothing spectacular. The 400ex is a rock solid machine that will run and take a beating for years, but I think if you want something that is more of a contender go with the new 400s. As far as 300cc and below for racing, I would say blaster because there is so much you can do to them, but he is way too tall for one. On a personal note, in my opinion I would just wait unless he really wants to race that bad, because any 300cc machine is going to be at best on par with that warrior, so personally I cant see why it would be worth going out and spending the money on a new quad thats smaller and under powered, just to race. Just my .02 hope it helps.

bombsquad54

parks9

#9 Post by bombsquad54 »

adam parks you need a scrambler 50. its faster than a yfz. LOL just kidding!:rotf :rotf :rotf :rotf :rotf :rotf :rotf. blasters rip.

Jaybr

#10 Post by Jaybr »

I went through the same thing with Lil Jbr last year. If your racing AMA sanctioned events, your limited to 200cc 2-stroke, 300cc 4-stroke. You can modify the motors, but you can't exceed the cc limits and you have to use stock frame and engine cases.

Lil Jbr was already riding a nice 400ex, but his previous ride was a Mojave and since we still had it that's what we built. Being a 250, we where able to drop a 300cc piston kit in it and that thing ripped. With ported head and cams, it easily outran his stock motor 400ex. The only downside we had, was with the cams we went with we couldn't run the decompression mechanism and we kept breaking kickstarter gears:mad:

You have 3 basic choices for that class, Blaster, 300ex, and Mojave. Blaster's and 300ex's can't be legally bored, but plenty of other upgrades you can do. Mojave is the only water cooled motor in the group, but aftermarket is harder to find and the kickstart gears are week. I'd also say with the motor worked, the Mojave will outrun the others.