Electrical guru's please help

NRath

That's a first!!

#11 Post by NRath »

Guy's complaining about NOT being able to kill their 'dales!! Usually it's the esact opposite!:eek:

I'm clueless about the answer to your problem. But, I can offer a little info. I believe Rev 8 is the latest and greatest harness C'dale put out. I definitely prefer it over the older ones regarding how it and the ecu work together in energizing the system. Bumping the start button to energize the EFI is a thing of the past! So, I'd suggest looking for another Rev8. I haven't heard of any other Rev 8 problems, so I'm hoping this is just a fluke.

ducman

#12 Post by ducman »

Originally posted by cannondale27
ducman so where was the diode?

Its been a little while, I will go look again and let you know.

jameson12

#13 Post by jameson12 »

Hey i found this out.

On ATVs, if this relay is damaged or removed, the
engine will run, but damage to a harness diode will
result. When the diode fails, the engine will not run.

My engine runs so i guess the diode is still good in the harness?
or i'm i reading that wrong?

jameson12

#14 Post by jameson12 »

i also found this out. i really don't know how the cannondale works still. i do know that it is different than everything else i own thou. but maybe this helps

The positive (+) pump terminal is always ????????????????hot??????????????? -
even with the ignition switch OFF. This terminal is
connected directly to the positive battery voltage
through the main fuse. The pump is activated by
ECU switching the negative circuit to ground.

The positive (+) cooling fan terminal is always ????????????????hot,???????????????
- even with the ignition switch OFF. This terminal is
connected directly to the positive battery voltage
through the main fuse.

ducman

#15 Post by ducman »

Originally posted by jameson12
Hey i found this out.

On ATVs, if this relay is damaged or removed, the
engine will run, but damage to a harness diode will
result. When the diode fails, the engine will not run.

My engine runs so i guess the diode is still good in the harness?
or i'm i reading that wrong?
You are reading it wrong, yes if the relay is removed it will cause damage to the diode but what the diode does is it acts like a one way gate to stop power from backfeeding through the harness. What I found on mine once I found the diode in the harness was that it had the same resistance reading in both directions, once I changed the harness out everything was fine(that was the only change I made).

jameson12

#16 Post by jameson12 »

was the diode hard to get to? and is something that can be replaced like buying a new one at raido shack?-electronic store- i dont know if you have those where you live.

speedy911

#17 Post by speedy911 »

theres a elec manual at cannondaler.com maybe you can find the diode there.

ducman

#18 Post by ducman »

The problem is finding the diode in the harness, you will have to remove the loom covering the harness. That will create a whole new problem of where the wires come out of the covering, some wires seem to run up and down the harness for no reason. Using the factory wiring diagram you can find the wire you are looking for by color and the connector that is on the end. The diode is inside a splice that is covered with heat shrink. With the price I have seen a harness going for on ebay it just isn't worth my time or the headache to replace it. But yes it could be changed.

DangerRanger

#19 Post by DangerRanger »

Hey Kyle...sorry for taking a bit to respond ...I will try your phone today. I will see what I can do. The diode is in the big mass right under the airtray...it is a biotch to get to, but can be done.

I think you may have another problem though...so keep your phone on.

Ben