The name that failure game

wistech

The name that failure game

#1 Post by wistech »

I have been holding off on tearing down my speed till we got most of these engine development problems resolved. I think it would be cool to have a little game as to how good your failure analasis skills are. The first 3 people to guess correctly what happened to my speed engine will win thier choice of a dune flag or custom signature decal. You only get one guess.

Heres a little history.
It was bought new in jan 03
I replaced the crank bolts with studs and locktited the tranny bolts in feb 03. It ran for 320 hours with oil and filter changes averaging every 10 t0 15 hours. (thats a lot of filters) mobil 1 oil mostly.
Nothing else was done engine wise. Stock speed map.1700 miles before it blew I found aluminum flakes in the oil filter then it went away.
The engine let go halfway up the steep right side of choke cherry hill in ST Anthonies Idaho.
I have it on video if you want it I can email it to you or post it on Kazza. I dont know if Jaybr posted it on the video section yet but Ill ask him. I was running way to tall gearing and had to drop it in 1st and let it rev to even climb most of the tall dunes.
The engine will rotate about half a turn free and then jam .
Post your answer to as what you think is the exact cause of the failure. I will pull the motor this weekend and examine it . If you have any other questions about this quads history let me know. Good luck.wink.gif

dalewannbe

#2 Post by dalewannbe »

Rod bearing, and I doubt your rod will be any good.

Brad77

#3 Post by Brad77 »

hmmm,

I'm not sure the crank caused the lock up. It sounds like you may have something in the head that let go. Maybe a dropped valve.

TheJaspMan

#4 Post by TheJaspMan »

Stock filter and you sucked sand into engine.

No warranty for you!

IRONSIDE

#5 Post by IRONSIDE »

Good answer ******! :clap: I agree as long as the shavings are indeed aluminum and not steel ( rod bearing). :hammer:

Happyboy

#6 Post by Happyboy »

I think head, valve probobly.

wistech

#7 Post by wistech »

Is that your final answer? LOL Cannondale 27 has been ribbin me because I didnt use a stage 8 kit. Thats his answer a crank plate bolt fell out and jammed a gear. When I used studs I dont think I even knew about the stage 8. So I just copied what the factory fix was. We shall see who will be eating crow.tongue.gif

Remember to keep your answers fairly specific. The prize list may be getting bigger:wow

cdrookie

#8 Post by cdrookie »

i'm with ******, exhaust valve broken

cannondale440

#9 Post by cannondale440 »

My guess is the stator side crank bearing went bad. Which produced alittle wobble and distroyed the rod bearings. Next to go was the sleeve and piston. As for the shavings i dont know, maybe from the piston skirts?

Mjollnir

#10 Post by Mjollnir »

You shoulda had people PM you answers, Wis!

I'll go with the same as ******, but I'll go for the right side exh. valve.

Marc