Should I pick up the Cannondale I have a deposit on?

mountainman10

#11 Post by mountainman10 »

I didn't think they would last long at those prices. Just call around and see what you can find out at a bunch of different dealers. A lot of dealers are scared and letting them go at very low prices. I have even seen some below cost. There are also several new ones on ebay.

NRath

#12 Post by NRath »

You might try Triangle Cycles in Durham, NC. They had a few and the prices were reduced. For the prices the Cannibals are going for, I'd got that route. You could get the Speed shocks later for only a couple hundred dollars if you wanted. Still wouldn't have the sharp graphics and seat cover, though. It would all boil down to prices for me. Good Luck!

Check your pm's.

atvrulz

dales for sale

#13 Post by atvrulz »

I know a dealer up here in minnesota that is going out of business and he has an 02' speed, cannibale and blaze for sale.
I just bought a moto from him for 9k. He would give you a much better deal than what your paying.

drbowtie

#14 Post by drbowtie »

First of all I would like to thank all of you for your support thus far. I'm amazed at what a great group of guys you are! With that said, I've ruled out an 02 due to various changes in manufacturing that make the 03 more appealing. Like the upgraded crankcase bolt situation. Also, what cool graphics! Since our last conversation I've negotiated the price down to $7100 from the $7400. So I'm feeling a little better! Would love to pick up a peice at $4500 though.... Oh my, what a deal!

Anyone else know where I can get an 03... Speed 440? Gosh that even sounds cool!

atvrulz

#15 Post by atvrulz »

You could do the 03' modifications yourself to an 02', and take at least a thousand off the price you mentioned.

mountainman10

#16 Post by mountainman10 »

I just talked to my dealer and he quoted me 7000 for an 03 speed. He said that a lot of dealers panicked when c-dale went bankrupt and were selling below cost. But now that it looks like the company will be bought and the quads will still be produced a lot of them are going to try and ride out the storm and aren't willing to let them go at a loss. I would bet that there are still a few good deals out there if you look hard enough.

As far as the support, that is what makes the forum so great. If you have a problem I can guarentee that somebody on here has had the problem and can tell you how to fix it.

Good luck on finding a good deal, but I am sure after you ride it you will consider it a good deal no matter how much you pay. These things are awesome!

drbowtie

#17 Post by drbowtie »

It's statements like that... "once you ride one any price is fair" is just what I needed to hear!

Thanks so far, I've got to let the guy know in the AM and I think I'll just take it and be on my way...

Jaybr

#18 Post by Jaybr »

I would reccomend that you make sure all of the updates are done before you pick it up. Just because it's an 03 doesn't mean the dealer did the updates. I'd pay particular attention to the motor mount and crankcase stud updates, you can see the details of them on the Cannondale website.

I've been talking to a few dealers lately thinking about getting another while they are cheap, none of the 03's I asked about had the updates done.

You'll love the Speed, just don't want you to overpay thinking your getting something your not.

Redman

#19 Post by Redman »

My dealer is selling an 03 le cannibal for $7300. He has not and will not lower the price of his quads. He has 2 2002 models in stock for cheaper too. I say the 03 speed is a good deal at $7000. It retials for $8000. Then you even have a warranty. I say get it.

drbowtie

#20 Post by drbowtie »

The unit that I am considering has a production date of November 22, 2002 and the bulletin regarding the "Crankcase Stud Upgrade" was posted on October 28, 2002 almost one month previous to this units build date... Because the only sure way to determine if this is an effected unit is to remove the clutch cover (by the way does anyone know if you can remove that cover without draining the oil?) and look at the bolts I am going to take a leap of faith there.

Also in regard to the comment about the motor mount... This is an effected unit and it has not had the upgrade performed. I asked the dealer to fix this before I would pick it up he said that he had no kit and there was nothing he could do about it, except call when he can get the upfit kit.

Two other dealers confirmed that they have nothing as well and Cannondale Customer Service said that they have no upfit kits to release at this time. I think I'm going to have to see the local machine shop for this one...