Jumping

MX Quad Dad

#11 Post by MX Quad Dad »

I am not very good at it . I found this thread informing. My word of advice is if you start feeling tired while you are practicing, take a break. I was riding at Silver lake dunes and was doing better and better (jumping) and was time to go so I was pushing a little harder, timming got a little off and when I stood up going up the face of the dune I extended to far and locked my knees strait. I landed it and no wittnesses, but it had to look bad. I have no ideal how high I went (to scared to look), but it was Higher than I wanted too.

On our practice track, I built a jump to simulate a stepup. The lip on the takeoff ramp is about 6' high then it tapers to the next lip which is about another 6' higher. the total length of the jump is about 75' maybe 80'. I have landed near the bottom of the landing ramp and never been more than 3' or 4' above the ground . I call it my pansi jump. but it is helping me work on my landings without worring me about how high I am. This sound like someone whos affraid of hights?

cdalepilot

#12 Post by cdalepilot »

practice on tabletops ,learn to preload the shocks on takeoff and have your body in the neutral position on the quad and in the attack stance , and be relaxed not stiff. learn to use your brakes for rotating the quad and be on the gas with your landings .enjoy the flight.smile.gif

Exodus

#13 Post by Exodus »

MX DAD, That jump you have sounds like a lot of fun. I love those 70 to 80 ft jumps, and I like them even more if they are ones that send you just 4 or 5ft off the ground, thats so cool. I have a 75ft sway back table top on my track, it has an 8ft lip and the landing is 6', this thing will send you about 18ft in the air. It will scare the heck out of you if you dont know what you are doing. I jump this thing pretty regular on my blaster and my Cannondale both. And that jump was also the worst wreck I have ever had, I jumped it on my Blaster for the frist time and the wind cut the bike sideways, and it landed short of the landing, it then bucked me over the front and drug me underneithe. I was knocked out for about a minute and half and I ended up with a huge goudge in my leg and two black eyes from the impact. A dent im my pride was what hurt the worst. LOL Thats why those 25 to 30ft jumps help so much, they teach you what you need to keep from doing what I did. I can tell you I jump all 12 of my smaller jumps 10x more than that swayback. And have just as much fun. Those big jumps are way cool, but when it goes wrong, it goes way wrong. Call me a pansey, but I have my choice of a tall 40 double over a 80 hit it pinned triple, I'll take the double nine times out of ten.

cdaleracer52

#14 Post by cdaleracer52 »

people are throwin in some jumping pics i mine as well throw one in myself

cdalerider75

#15 Post by cdalerider75 »

Speaking on this topic... at what point should you go with LT for shocks???

Sand_Blaster

#16 Post by Sand_Blaster »

Originally posted by cdaleracer52
people are throwin in some jumping pics i mine as well throw one in myself

sweeet jump!!

theJeStEr1340

#17 Post by theJeStEr1340 »

Originally posted by cdembek
Speaking on this topic... at what point should you go with LT for shocks???

Good question... I was wondering about that myself. I would like to get a +2 LT setup when I get the money.

Sandstorm

#18 Post by Sandstorm »

When you think you're going as fast as you possibly can now.

CdaleRacer0128

#19 Post by CdaleRacer0128 »

yeah, when you feel you are using 100% of the power available ( well that you are getting to the ground, then step up!) just remember on the next quad, go straight to LT!smile.gif

Exodus

#20 Post by Exodus »

Long Travel:

What a topic, some people say to buy it when you use all the available suspension you have, some say to get it when you mastered the art of jumping. What it really boils down to, is money. How much do you want to spend on your bike. I have a freind who has almost 5 grand in his front end and he wont race. Does that sound silly, well, I thought so at one time but now I think maybe hes got the right idea. It doesnt matter how good you are, becasue long travel will help you no matter how good are. Its not a must have, but it might be a real nice luxury. Kinda like power windows, you could roll the window down pretty good, but now you can just push a button. Its all up to you when you want to spend the money, its not cheap, and you could almost buy another cannondale for the price of it, but when you get people looking at it, mainly you, and thinking, wow, what a sweet lookin ride. Then its all worth it. The other thing I can tell you is that a ride on long travel vs. standard travel is the difference between a cadillac and a vega. The vega wont kill you, but man the caddy is CLOUD 9!