Burnt Up Clutch?

CDaleChick

Burnt Up Clutch?

#1 Post by CDaleChick »

I was racing in the B class this weekend and my clutch started slipping really bad, like it was burned up. The clutch isnt really old and hasnt had very many rides on it, and I am not one to really ride on the clutch...I dont know what could have caused it. A few of the odd things my quad has been doing that could help lead to the problem......

on take offs it isnt necessarily fast, i have good reaction times, but in holeshots i tend to be further back, when on borrowed bikes im usually up at the front.

it didnt like to downshift very well...Id usually step on the shifter twice, to downshift only once.

I havent taken the plates out yet, so I havent had time to look at them really, but I just find that a fairly new clutch shouldnt have gone out like that. The actuating arm is on 12 o clock just like in the manual. When the quad was sitting in the bed of the truck, a friend shifted up to higher gears and my quad was still rolling, so the clutch definitely wasnt working correctly. Would there be something hung up in there or causing it to do that? Any info or things to look for would be greatly appreciated! I need this quad running in a month for the Lake Whitney national!

CdaleRacer0128

#2 Post by CdaleRacer0128 »

wait do you have a hydro or cable?

if you have a hydro check your outter most plate, sometimes it jumps out of the basket a little bit, at one time i actually had 2 extra plates in there! and didn't know it til after about a month of riding, the clutch would just keep de bleeding itself

and my slave cyl also had a crack in the place where it connects to the case

if you have the cable, try adj at the clutch actuatiing arm at the bottom if you can w/ the dales.. and i understand your thing with not being near the front with the dale, my dale was the fastest around but it wouldn't feel like it was as quick due to the clutch and it never felt the same after it:confused:

Jaybr

#3 Post by Jaybr »

If you check the plates and they all look good, pull the actuating arm and inspect.

I've heard of them wearing and even breaking.

CANNIBALKID

#4 Post by CANNIBALKID »

if you have the cable clutch try adjusting the slack out of the cable. their are 2 places you can adjust it @.

JeffQuadShop

#5 Post by JeffQuadShop »

If there is no slack in your cable then that is probally the problem.

MX Quad Dad

#6 Post by MX Quad Dad »

If you have a hydrolic. You may need to change the fluid. After one season my Moto's Clutch fluid broke down or something, Looked kinda gross. It could be slowing the engagement of the clutch. Most people told me to use only mineral oil or Mangura's fluid, but I used synthetic ATF. Its been in there for two years and still looks good and works good too.

CDaleChick

#7 Post by CDaleChick »

it is a cable clutch.... i think it might be something simple...ill keep hoping that too :eek:

cdalemx301

#8 Post by cdalemx301 »

yank ur actuating arm out and look at it....Mine cracked and wore a hole in the side of it and my clutch wasnt returning completely causing my clutch to burn....turn ur bars to both extremes also make sure the actuating arm isnt moving when u move them.....actuating arm is only like 25 bucks tho no a bad fix

cannondale27

#9 Post by cannondale27 »

Also make sure you have steel plates and not the old aluminum ones that wore really fast.There was also a update on how to adjust manual clutch.It is not 12:00.