ATK in Atv Sport shootout

yamadjs08

ATK in Atv Sport shootout

#1 Post by yamadjs08 »

Hey guys, I dont know if any of you guys read Atv Sport or not, but in their latest issue, they have a shootout between the ATK450, TRX450r, YFZ450, and the TLE Predator. From what I have read so far the ATK has done pretty good. I thought I would post because I never see ATKs in the Mags, a few times for buyers guides and an evaluation from when the ATK first came out. Glad to see its out there and running with the other new 450s. Definately go check it out!:clap: :usa

kevin00

#2 Post by kevin00 »

I really dont put any stock in shootouts but its nice to see atk get some well deserved pub i would be shocked if they put it above the japan 450s. but worth checking out.

iceracer17

#3 Post by iceracer17 »

I don't quite understand why ATK would send a quad with frt add on ohlins and an hmf pipe for a stock shootout.It didn't sound like doing that impressed them too much either.
Oh well good publicity anyways.

cannondale27

#4 Post by cannondale27 »

They better learn to understand that you dont have to sell thousands of quads and that quads can be built to order.What is wrong with a company putting shocks or other things on right from the manufacturee?Toyota,Nissan,Chevy and Ford all sell trucks with custom parts installed right away Billstein,Rancho etc. they are still stock trucks.It is about time the other quad Manufacturers start putting the parts we want on right away.Cripes Yamaha owns part of Ohlins yet only the snowmobiles get Ohlins or Fox.Why is it that Honda and Yamaha are allowed to run Rezzy shocks?Last I heard Showa wasnt owned by either one of them and in Japan they are bought just like Ohlins only difference is they arent anywhere near as good as the Ohlins.Too bad.

iceracer17

#5 Post by iceracer17 »

OK,then accorgind to them you should tack on the extra $2k for the suspension =$9999 and another $400-800 for the exhaust.So your around $10-11k.I don't think they're going to even sell 500 units if they are lucky.With the problems they have had it is going to be hard to sell unless they do a lot of work to them.
Add the prices on to the others and they are still around $9k.They could get long travel and more to add up to the ATK.
You have to remember the magazines are doing this comparison for the average guys.What would they choose?A cheaper, better all-around machine.

cdrookie

#6 Post by cdrookie »

both sides have valid points. how i see it is that honda and yamaha have their top of the line sport/race machines so why can't ATK send their top of the line machine? should they send their cheapest quad? to compete against the japanese manufacturers most expensive? either way, like iceracer said, i don't believe they will have an impact, just too much money to part with at once. at least ATVSport is doing the shootout, they're the least bias out of them all.

wistech

#7 Post by wistech »

These shootouts always annoy me. Cant they just judge the quads on how they perform and forget out the price. If your going to slam the quad with the alloy frame efi and high end parts for costing more then you will have to slam the cheaper quad with the crappy short travel suspension,weak steel frames,detuned carbed engines and lack of race required parts.
By the way ,where was the GasGas 450, and the other ATK models. I guess they dont count then.eh

Im not comenting on this actual issue . But it seems like they all turned out the same in previous years . Rant over

speed_demon

#8 Post by speed_demon »

I agree with them being least biased, but they still get 90% of their advertising $$$ from Japan;). Last I heard ATK was going to start using HMF's on the XC and MX models instead of the FMF Ti. (probably running out of em!) Anyway I agree that if ATK is sending a quad to compete w/the 450R and YFZ450 it should be the MX version. Ohlins are standard and HMF will soon be stock as well. Yeah you can add $2000 worth of aftermarket to each of the Jap bikes but all that would get you is suspension! You're still without an exhaust (don't forget jetting), beadlocks, nerfs and tires. I'm not knocking those quads, just stating that the ATK, however more expensive, is still a better out of the box racer-yes racer-which is what the YFZ and R were producer fo as well. Just my opinion.

five08

#9 Post by five08 »

step away from the "shootouts" and ride one yourself or ask someone who owns one....your much better off :cool:

cannondale27

#10 Post by cannondale27 »

The majority of the jap quads are bought stock but I bet the majority dont stay that way.The manufacturers could easily sell a longtravel quad for very little money over stock.What could a couple inches of tubing and little bit longer shocks cost especially if mass produced such as 450r and Yfz?Its great that everyone can see the diff in a test.When money gets brought into the equation all it is is a compromise.