Very hard to start

bowhunter74

Very hard to start

#1 Post by bowhunter74 »

Just got back from the dunes Easter weekend, and my dale won't start unless I pull start it. It started fine the first few times, then it got harder to start every time after that, untill at the end of the second day we had to pull start it a few times.

I think that I might have a tight valve, or low compression but I really don't think thats it. Does anyone have any other ideas?

wanablaze

#2 Post by wanablaze »

Does the idle wander? Could be a stepper motor (IACV) maybe?

jesshamner

#3 Post by jesshamner »

My idle is acting crazy. What is the voltage that is supposed to be on it? Do you know? I think Jaybr knows.

bowhunter74

#4 Post by bowhunter74 »

Yes the idle did wonder some.

bowhunter74

#5 Post by bowhunter74 »

Originally posted by wanablaze
 Could be a stepper motor (IACV) maybe? [/B]

What is this?

aroracer72

#6 Post by aroracer72 »

Harder and harder starting at a gradual inclimation of time almsot always is associated with valves being off. My dads and ds650 got harder to start everytime we went riding...adn he never checked the valves......so we tore it down..and the intake valves had NO play..and the exhaust had very VERY little...almost burned them up. So try the other options first.......but if your problem doesnt get fixed by those...then youll have to adjust the valves...which wont be a lot of fun.
CHAD
if you do adjsut your valves......honda trx450r shims(these adhjust your valves) are the same as our dales...so jsut go to a honda dealer for them.

wistech

#7 Post by wistech »

I dont know about the honda but the smaller suzuki shims are the same as dale valve shims. Any bike shop should have a kit.

aroracer72

#8 Post by aroracer72 »

Of course...try the honda shims at your own risk...but im using them..and mine is NOW running great!!!...purrs like a kitten. I measured both the dale and the honda's shims with a micrometer....and they are exact.
CHAD

bowhunter74

#9 Post by bowhunter74 »

Yep, the valves were WAY out, now it runs great. :head:

cannondale27

#10 Post by cannondale27 »

Awesome!Nice tip on Honda shims also.