there she blows!

cdaleracer52

there she blows!

#1 Post by cdaleracer52 »

well it happened...again! my oil pump failed, crank didnt get oil so that failed as well. had the first batch of WWE pisons and my wrist pin snapped. im suprised the wrist pin lasted this long. pison and cylinder are scored up like crazy and a few bearings went. Going to be giving doug a call this week and order me up a ton parts. heres a list of what im getting. shoot me some tips and whatever comments you want to make.

Balanced crank with z400 bearing W/timbo rod
JE 450 pison kit and with nicasil coated cylinder
kibblewhite valves and springs
metal oil pump gears

2 questions,

1. is there any tranny updates or mods that should be done?
2. is there an updated or high capasity oil pump available?

any other suggestions while it is apart, i want to make this engine as bullet proof as possible.

wistech

#2 Post by wistech »

Which oil pump failed ? Im guessing the main one because a scavange pump failure would blast oil into your airbox. Check your counterbalncer drive shaft for straightness. Did you cartridge plate bolts ever loosen?

cdaleracer52

#3 Post by cdaleracer52 »

i have a stage 8 so the bolts didnt loosen and ill check that shaft. yes it was the main pump.

Happyboy

#4 Post by Happyboy »

what happen? That ity bitty tini wieny pin break? hate that little thing. Too small!

wistech

#5 Post by wistech »

Well if that pin was any bigger it would snap the end of the balance shaft off. We really need a oil pressure dummy light. I have the parts to do it but thats a backburner project.

cdaleracer52

#6 Post by cdaleracer52 »

get that oil pressure light goin and ill buy one.

cdalerider75

#7 Post by cdalerider75 »

photos please of the damage!!! Which pin was it?

kdeal

#8 Post by kdeal »

Originally posted by wistech
Well if that pin was any bigger it would snap the end of the balance shaft off.  We really need a oil pressure dummy light.  I have the parts to do it but thats a backburner project.

Wistech,

Where would you tap in to the oil passage to get the reading? ALso, the pressure is so low in these things that the pressure sensor would have to be set or programmed pretty low.

cdaleracer52

#9 Post by cdaleracer52 »

my digital cam is out right now ill have photos soon.

wistech

#10 Post by wistech »

kdeal- The simple and easy place to tap in would be the oil filter cap. The drawback to that is it might be in the way for oil changes and an external line in that spot would be easily damaged.

I was thinking of tapping into either the head passages or installing a switch on the inside of the oil filter housing and running a wire through the cover. Both not easily done.I have switches that trip down to 1/2 a psi

The one thing that would be easy is installing a flow switch in the scavange pump hose. As long as the scavange pump is pumping oil out of the engine you would know that oil is getting in. There is a flow switch we use in school busses that monitor power steering oil flow for the warning system. As long as it didnt impede oil flow or give false readings frommetal flowing in our oil it would be my choice.