cannondale locked ip

jamesh

cannondale locked ip

#1 Post by jamesh »

my 02 cannibal blew all kinds of oil out yesterday then locked up. i tried to start it but it acted like the battery was dead,so i tried to pull start it. the back tires wolnt even move while its in gear. im knew to cannondales so can someone tell me what might have happened. thanks

61austin

#2 Post by 61austin »

Where did the oil blow out of? Oil pump gears may have stripped but sounds like lower rod bearing, either way you will probably have to drop the engine to tell. Check the oil filter for shavings that will confirm the problem.

parks9

#3 Post by parks9 »

not for sure what you call it but check the rod bearing on the crank( where the crank meets the rod )? i dont have any clue really besides that.

KRMit

#4 Post by KRMit »

That sounds like something mine did. I let it sit for a week and when I went to crank it up the starter couldn't turn the motor over. I hooked up some jumper cables to it for a little more juice and hesitantly it turned over and cranked. Smoke went everywhere and oil was running out of the pipe. This really worried me but after a few minutes of smoking it quit and ran fine. I don't really understand this but this is how it was put to me: The check ball in the oil pump occasionally may stick, causing oil to run into the cylinder. It apparently had quite a bit of oil in there and hydrolocked when I tried to crank it.

Your problem may be something different if it locked up after the smoke, but I dunno. Let the experts here help ya, I'm just sharing an experience.