clanking sound!

strokedspeed

clanking sound!

#1 Post by strokedspeed »

I have a fairly new motor about 25-30 hours on it, it never used to do this but now, when its in like 2nd or 3rd gear and im goin really slow and its about to die something is clanking!!! really lound, and when i ride on the 2 side wheels it does it really bad, just wondering if anyone knows that this is? Oh yeah i have have all the updates, and stuff, thanks

wistech

#2 Post by wistech »

Check your chain adjustment.Does it do it only while riding or even at idle in neutral?

strokedspeed

#3 Post by strokedspeed »

I have only noticed it when im riding it and when ther rpm is really low and the quad it about to die.

cannondale27

#4 Post by cannondale27 »

Yup adjust chain.No metal in filter?

strokedspeed

#5 Post by strokedspeed »

nope no metal in the oil! do i just have to tighten it?

kdeal

#6 Post by kdeal »

It's definitely chain slap. I had the same problem on a brand new bike and it drove me nuts. It happened to me when I slowed down to take a turn (like a U turn while just putting around). You do need to tighten it, I believe you want 1 1/2 inches of slack dead center of the swingarm. Guys correct me if I'm wrong on the spec....

IRONSIDE

#7 Post by IRONSIDE »

You have it right kdeal. I like to service and clean my chain before checking the slack. This is a good time to inspect your swingarm buffer for wear. As the buffer wears you will develop excess slack.

Exodus

#8 Post by Exodus »

Keep an eye on that chain, Cannondales are pretty finicky when it comes to chain slack. At least mine is.