backyard mechanics!

CptHook

#11 Post by CptHook »

Well put Doug, and I agree whole heartedly, because I would definiatley be up sh*ts creek and owning one of the big three before too long if it weren't for this site.

Thanks Doug and everyone else who has helped to make this community what it is today :clap:

cdalerider75

#12 Post by cdalerider75 »

Doug question ......

First don't take this the wrong way.. just really wanted to know more behind the man!!

If you had to pick one would you rather sell parts or work on bikes.

If it was up to me I would prefer to sell parts and leave the headaches to someone else.

Oh yea.. almost forgot.. I didn't think that the post was to me... the first part was just asking and the second part was to make people laugh!!

Psychosis

#13 Post by Psychosis »

Well posted and I agree w/you all. A good example is would be like a lot on here. I rebuilt mine's engine myself but not w/out help from you guys. If somebody local had one and needed help but couldn't spend the money to go to Haydug or another I'd help but wouldn't solicite any work or offer services to others. I think we can all agree there as we all seem to.

haydug

#14 Post by haydug »

If I had to chose just one, probably neither. I like building engines, and like selling parts, however, both have headaches. I am backordered at House something aweful now, and getting phone calls daily on their status. I'm waiting on falicon cranks now, and getting phone calls daily, valves etc. etc.

Now for engine building, I'm backed up them as well, doing a 250R now for a guy, and it should have been junked, but wants it done in a week(but doesn't want a new crank). Got a new CRF250 I tearing into, someone just put a cam in it, but didn't bother cleaning out the metal chunks, so it wiped a stator, the owner says "just put a stator in it so we can race this weekend", I tell him to "come get it and take to someone else, without splitting the cases and getting all the metal, it will gredade very shortly, the oil pump gear was already stripped" so now he says he'll wait, but wants it by next weekend. Now I'm crossing my fingers waiting on honda parts. And cannondale engines: I am turning down work right now due to crank/valve issues, I explain I'd be happy to rebuild in a month or so when I have the parts sitting on the shelves. I like to have everything laying there to rebuild them, spend 2 days and ship it off, no phone calls: "where's my engine"

Not complaining here, just stating that this is a headache sometimes, and this time of year the tax man comes creeping around, and makes me cranky!! :drink:

KYmxracer52

#15 Post by KYmxracer52 »

Hang in there Doug!! It'll all smooth out soon. Just give it time.

cdalerider75

#16 Post by cdalerider75 »

Tax man??? we are just going to have to have ****** take care of that tax man!!!! He did get a new toy!!!

Click............hold steady..............bang!!! got him!!!

JST

#17 Post by JST »

Very well put Doug.

wanablaze

#18 Post by wanablaze »

Doug,
Hang in there and I'll buy ya another round at Glamis next year...Lol. Seriously, though, thanx for all of your help, you've gone way above my expectations. Oh, and my sister says hi.