Aluminum Radiator Reservoir Bottles

cannondale27

#11 Post by cannondale27 »

I dont have a 250r kit but I believe the Walsh bottles were designed for it?

kdeal

#12 Post by kdeal »

Originally posted by cannondale27
I dont have a 250r kit but I believe the Walsh bottles were designed for it?

Steve,

We are patterning it off of an actual Walsh bottle with the exception of the radiator style cap. I am not sure if it was made for their 250R kit or not. But if we made it a little slimmer than the normal bottle, than it would fit the 250R application and stock as well. I wanted to get these made while I could, and I have a few ideas for modifing them in the future as well. The radiator cap idea just makes since, my only worry is the width, if that's a problem. If it is, we can probably go with a banshee style cap or something smaller, that uses the same style neck.

Ken

banzairx7

#13 Post by banzairx7 »

Sounds great, sign me up smile.gif

kdeal

#14 Post by kdeal »

OK here is the deal. I just spoke to the vendor in reference to the bottles, and the first few will not be the slimmer Walsh 250R kit style, they will be the same size as the stock plastic bottle. He has 8 of them cut out and partially assembled. A couple of them are done, just awaiting the radiator cap style filler necks to complete them. I have advised him to make a few revisions to any future bottles made. They will all be the slimmer style to fit the 250R style plastic. I am also looking at a way to come up with some sort of level indicator. I don't want to over price these by adding several options to them. Fifty bucks is already a lot of money to spend, and I want to keep them reasonable. BUT I am still looking for some ideas. Let me know if any of you come up with something.

Ken

banzairx7

#15 Post by banzairx7 »

Was it timbo that is selling the tranny sights? Maybe put one of these where full would be. If you don't see it in the window then time to check it.

pdavis

#16 Post by pdavis »

the tranny site glass was about $25, i dont want to spend 75 for a cooolant bottle with a sight glass, how hard is it to twist a rad cap off?

kdeal

#17 Post by kdeal »

Originally posted by banzairx7
Was it timbo that is selling the tranny sights? Maybe put one of these where full would be. If you don't see it in the window then time to check it.

It is Canniboomer that has the site glass windows. I would prefer to not spend 50% more to include this. I can make a provision in the bottles for the user to do this if need be. Maybe a flat section or a small reinforced area to do this in. I was thinking more along the line of a tube shaped glass that would be easy to see at a glance. I am researching this, so bear with me.

Canniboomer

#18 Post by Canniboomer »

any sightglass is probably visible from under the plastic, and the round ones are cheaper by about $10 than the column style. The column style is best, and you can glance from side angle, but still added cost at least $30 after drill/install... but they would likely still sell as an easy upgrade.

That Cannondale dirtbike metal radiator cap might be a good choice if avail cheap, great small size good quality, that one is rated at 20psi vs. our ATV caps at 17.5psi , and coupled with the overflow outlet on neck, it's nice that overflow is below frame.

...maybe whole setup will cost more for sure, but still worth it.
"build it and they will come" biggrin.gif

kdeal

#19 Post by kdeal »

Originally posted by Canniboomer
what about 90-degree barbed pipe nipples, backnuts, 2 clamps, and some clear tubing Ok for some heat/pressure?  maybe around $10 ?

You are stealing some of my thunder. That was my idea, but I wanted to try and find something a little fancier. Boomer, clean out your PM box, and check your e-mail.

Ken

Canniboomer

#20 Post by Canniboomer »

....thunder restored, good project!,biggrin.gif inbox cleaned, tks.biggrin.gif