Unicorn II motor?

NRath

You're good, 27!

#11 Post by NRath »

I was sitting here thinking what my post was going to say questioning the "balanced" flywheel, when low and behold, there was a pic in the next post!

I've got a refurb that was shipped in Dec. 02 w/SSM case that runs smooth as silk, no crank balance issues there. So, now I've got to run out there and see if it has radiused corners just for giggles. I'm really surprised they weren't radiused from the get-go. Can you say "stress riser"? No radii was definitely a weak point. My fingers are crossed!

cannondale27

#12 Post by cannondale27 »

Warrens also ran very smooth.I wonder if both crank and flywheel were balanced or maybe just flywheel.Doesnt seem like the amount of aluminum taken out of flywheel would be enough but maybe since it is so far out from center of crank the effect is greater?Just amazes me the efforts Cannondale was making to deliver a cost effective and highquality quad.Just think any change required dealing all over with vendors and such.Just wish we knew exactly what all the changes and reasons for them were with dates and such.I for one gave up trying to keep track a long time ago.

Nrath let us know what you find for case.

NRath

#13 Post by NRath »

Unicorn II, hah!! You've got unicorn III. Mine is a II because only 1 side is radiused!!! I could be wrong about the second side, I don't have a good angle to see it, but it sure looks like a square corner to me. Anyway, I feel a little better about letting go of that cable clutch quad and deciding to keep this one!

Another positive, it does have a balanced flywheel.

NRath

#14 Post by NRath »

This crank had a slug welded into the hole and it apparently did the trick.

I've been planning on pulling it back apart to throw a bearing in it for long term durabilities sake. I'm kind of back and forth on that, but I probably will. I also need to look into pinning the flywheel. Is Timbo doing the flywheels, too?

cannondale27

#15 Post by cannondale27 »

Cool!so if a guy sees the balanced flywheel it is a good indicator that crank may be balanced from factory!I dont know if Tim does flywheels.He is pretty busy with strokers:DDid your motor also have stud update from factory?The right side if your sitting on quad was the side that broke.They added big radi there.Left is less.

NRath

#16 Post by NRath »

Originally posted by cannondale27
Did your motor also have stud update from factory?The right side if your sitting on quad was the side that broke.They added big radi there.Left is less.

Yeah, it has the stud update.

Not so good on the radius. My left side has a small radius, about 1/8", looks like no radius on the right side. On the good side, it's not cracked at this point!

Canniboomer

#17 Post by Canniboomer »

Wouldn't the flywheels have been checked for balance at the factory in Sweden?, with most of them maybe not needing correction? An FX400 here, an '02 Cannibal, and one Glamis have the same drill-outs 1 to 4, so that effort may have been in place from the beginning. Still, it would be nice to verify a mixed batch of flywheels to be sure.

wistech

#18 Post by wistech »

Do we know if the flywheels are balanced separate.? I would say they have to be or you would have to pull the motor every time you changed flywheels for balancing.

cannondale27

#19 Post by cannondale27 »

I do know of folks who got FX400 factory rebuilds and demanded their original case in the rebuild.Which Cannondale did.