battery

kdeal

#11 Post by kdeal »

Banzair,

If you check the specs for the 12 series battery mentioned above it says it uses the same technology as the battery you are looking at (glass mat). It is the same size (except 3/16" taller), so it could be a good replacement.

The 9 series battery has 120 CCA (Cold Cranking Amps)
The 12 series battery has 175 CCA.
The 14 series battery has 230 CCA. (This is almost as much power as two of the stock batteries).

Derno24

#12 Post by Derno24 »

I know some people have already used the taller battery it can be made to fit, but is very tight.

kdeal

#13 Post by kdeal »

Originally posted by Derno24
I know some people have already used the taller battery it can be made to fit, but is very tight.

Derno,

You have used the two battery set-up before. Do you think you could use the 3/16" taller battery in the foward position where you mounted the 2nd battery before?

Ken

Derno24

#14 Post by Derno24 »

Originally posted by kdeal
Derno,

You have used the two battery set-up before. Do you think you could use the 3/16" taller battery in the foward position where you mounted the 2nd battery before?

Ken

The battery used up there is a tiny little one. It is a snug fit. I think it is a 7 size. If it could be made to fit there than it would open up the area in front of the motor. I am guessing off the top of my head that it probably wouldn't fit, but you never know!smile.gif

Canniboomer

#15 Post by Canniboomer »

Yep that YTZ-14S is only 3/16 taller and you just add washers under the stock hold down or glue in a thinner rubber pad -- some minor dremel to the stock tray might also be needed, maybe variable per knock-off brands, but these things really CRANK! better than the earlier batteries. Also note, they come ready to use, as they are prepped at the factory to eliminate air in the cells, and said to be a thicker concentration.

FYI, I went to change the battery in a 2003 Honda 250EX, and found our stocker 9 in there as standard equipment.

Brad Oakley

#16 Post by Brad Oakley »

You know - it's a horrible thought - but with a higher-cranking battery, the decomp mechanism becomes unnecessary.

Oh - I can't confirm it, but one of my customers talked about getting a very good battery at WalMart! (He's the one running without the decomp - says it starts just fine!)

badvox

#17 Post by badvox »

Originally posted by Brad Oakley
You know - it's a horrible thought - but with a higher-cranking battery, the decomp mechanism becomes unnecessary.

Oh - I can't confirm it, but one of my customers talked about getting a very good battery at WalMart! (He's the one running without the decomp - says it starts just fine!)

Wal Mart? Must be an interstate battery. Hmm can you find out the details on the battery? Koyo sucks!!

Derno24

#18 Post by Derno24 »

I haven't tried it yet, but I am wondering hom much a pain it would be to start using the 24 volt set-up without the decomp!

Canniboomer

#19 Post by Canniboomer »

It's all about CCA and compression of your motor -- we can all hope for increasingly better battery technology, but most tight motors may need every advantage when cold, or far out in the boonies and you need a push, or downhill rolling start, forgot the towrope, etc. -- you may be happy for the decomp.

Badvox as for the Koyo 12 version you have, is it not cranking well? Or did you just have a problem with the fit?

FYI, I just received the "Z-series" version of the Koyo, and it's darn near the same size as our stocker 9, but note I just weighed and measured:

6lbs 14 oz.... Yuasa 9 stocker
8lbs 12 oz.... Koyo KTZ-14S, but it's only 1/8" wider, longer and taller, and fits (with a little work) in our stock tray, tilted or back-padded good idea anyway. Note same in Yuasa = YTZ-14S

That's a huge difference internally, much higher density with the Z-series batteries. These are already in use with good success, and many cdale dirtbike guys have already gone to the Z-series also, with the same near doubling of CCA in the same size.

DMAC10

Battery

#20 Post by DMAC10 »

So which battery would be the better way to go?

Yuasa YTZ-14s

Koyo KTZ-14s

There's abot $20 difference between the 2.

I currently run the 2 battery system for GNCC, so if I go with one of these, would I still need the 2nd battery?????

I'm open for suggestions.