Need Help Got 1 More Problem To The Dale

azcannon

#11 Post by azcannon »

It can be very frustrating sometimes when you help people , it seems like it would be easier sometimes charging them instead and maybe that would make it worthwhile or something puttting up with all the problems .

cannondale27

#12 Post by cannondale27 »

Just because your cams are shot doesnt mean you had a oiling problem.When it ran was there oil flowing when you looked in the fill hole?

Derno24

#13 Post by Derno24 »

Originally posted by azcannon
It can be very frustrating sometimes when you help people , it seems like it would be easier sometimes charging them instead and maybe that would make it worthwhile or something puttting up with all the problems .

I'm a little confused here. So you are saying for free help you should charge just so if there is a problem (not necessarily related to the work provided) and it has to be fixed again the repairer would feel it was worth his time.

Kinda sound like the reason to send it to a shop to rebuild. Or at least make it clear to the people you help that other problems may still come up. I would also think that if you were helping someone the person you are helping would appreciate the help. Or at least they should. My fees are as follows.

12 pack for 2 hrs labor.
Case of beer for anything past that!:drink:

This way I at least get a smile out of it.:eek:

cannondale27

#14 Post by cannondale27 »

It is a wierd thing that I have noticed along with alot of smart business people.If you give something away for free people feel free to whine and complain.Charge a fair price and you get a fair shake as far as complaints go.For some stupid reason people tend to not respect you unless you charge them.Charging also keeps people from fixing some roaches that should be thrown away.I have worked for two shops.Each one on different ends of scale as far as charging.One charge $20 a hour labor other $65 and kept track of time to minute.I cannot explain why but customers were generally happier at shop which charged more.We also didnt get in 1970's bikes and sleds that should have been thrown away or given to someone capable of doing work themselves.I would not work on a motor for free unless the customer was present and getting dirty right along with me.With understanding that it is going to be a training session that wont be repeated.

Derno24

#15 Post by Derno24 »

Originally posted by cannondale27
I would not work on a motor for free unless the customer was present and getting dirty right along with me.With understanding that it is going to be a training session that wont be repeated.

I totally agree with that one. If you are working on a motor for someone and they aren't even there then forget it.

Again though it totally destroys what is left of the Cannondale shops if people are out working on motors for profit. We are and always will be a small community. The only way we will continue to have parts and service for these machines is by keeping the shops in business and happy to keep working on them. That goes for all vendors. Blackwidow, Haydug, and Timbomoose.

azcannon

#16 Post by azcannon »

I have had very mixed results with the people I have helped work on motors, I havent charged anyone and neither have a lot of people who just help . I dare say I have made a few people upset who I have helped out because I wasn't willing to spend every waking moment working out every issue . And I am sure they are reading this now. It really goes without saying to refer to the site sponsors , it's just posts like this that make it seem less worthwhile when people show just how ungrateful they can be

Derno24

#17 Post by Derno24 »

What did he say that was so bad? He didn't say anything other than he needed help. Maybe there is something I am missing. Other than the fact he doesn't know how to uncaps!

cannondale27

#18 Post by cannondale27 »

Helping someone and doing it for them are two different things.Dont get me wrong there are some who really appreciate somebody doing something for free.But when you think about it everybody knows work on a quad motor never really ends.So when does the free work end?If person is there with you doing the work it just shows effort and they will learn something.Maybe even gain enough confidence to do work themselves next time.Like they say give a guy a fish and he will have a meal.Take him fishing and he will eat for life.Or something like that:D

haydug

#19 Post by haydug »

So, is Dale450 and krbrown the same guy?
Why 2 names?
Why did Happyboy just rebuild your motor?
Why didn't you call happyboy to fix this problem?
Was he aware that the cams were indeed shot when he rebuilt it?
Why would the cams being shot, not let the engine turn over?
Is this to many queastions? :drink:

Happyboy

#20 Post by Happyboy »

Originally posted by haydug
So, is Dale450 and krbrown the same guy?
Why 2 names?
Why did Happyboy just rebuild your motor?
Why didn't you call happyboy to fix this problem?
Was he aware that the cams were indeed shot when he rebuilt it?
Why would the cams being shot, not let the engine turn over?
Is this to many queastions? :drink:

They are 2 different people. Kory bought Bobby's quad and Devon liked it so much he went and bought one.

Why did I rebuild it for him? hmmm...hour from me. No shipping. Good guy....what are you looking for?

Cam's were not shot before.

I was busy the day Devon called and he wanted help then. So he posted on here just like I tell people to do. He got help enough to find out where the problem was coming from. Won't know for sure what happened until the motor gets looked at.