ATV - Riding Tips and Technique

bphillman

#11 Post by bphillman »

so.. uh.. Mike?

This isnt all from that sudden drop off following Sean and I over Thanksgiving is it? I dont think screaming slows you down much! tongue.gif

I'd do the 30+ class with you. Lets set a SoCalDale ride up for the track? Do a practice day and take over the track?

DMAC10

40+

#12 Post by DMAC10 »

40+ Man those guys should be in a retirement home:p tongue.gif

Boy I've heard that line several times!!!!!!!!

I'm 45 1/2 and still trying to find good riding tips. Any help is good help. I race MX and in the woods( I still say that trees move)

1. Downhill tip: Depending on grade of hill. Primarily keep your weight to the back as much as you can. Use a combination of front/rear braking and let the motor help as well, always be ready for the clutch or to apply more or less of the 2 brakes.

2. JUMPING:eek: :eek:

Hold on, No as said before, Do not jump anything that your comfortble with. I tries a triple once, I hesitated just a tad, that wasn't a pretty site. Broken Handle bars and I had to wear a bag on my thigh to drain the junk out of my thigh from the deep bruise. So if your not comfortble, don't do it.

Start small and work your way up. Learn to move the quad around in the air. Because no matter how good you are , there is always those times that you don't launch perfectly and you must make mid air adjustment.

Get an experienced jumper to work with you one day and you'll quickly work out a lot of the bugs.
Get to practing

:clap: :clap:

badvox

#13 Post by badvox »

Originally posted by bphillman
so.. uh.. Mike?  

This isnt all from that sudden drop off following Sean and I over Thanksgiving is it? I dont think screaming slows you down much!  :p

I'd do the 30+ class with you. Lets set a SoCalDale ride up for the track? Do a practice day and take over the track?

Actually the down hill stuff is for sure. The reason I dont jump on a quad is I just havent done it. So having not done it I figured hey how about a pointer or 2 so I dont kill myself.

Now the downhill. I've been down hills before but for some reason Thanksgiving I stalled it at least 3 times out there. I think too much brake for sure. And I didnt know the trails you guys were on. I am usually over by where that life flight was and ride the trails back there. So I guess Im used to those trails and when they go up and down.

Track day saweet. I need some back up so Im not by myself out there.

Catch ya over there.

Mike

Exodus

#14 Post by Exodus »

I recently got to ride some pretty nasty downhills in SD. I actually stalled it once and then I thought about it for a bit. These hills were very long and winding, not to mention very steep. They were all you could do to climb them so the downhill was just as much a challenge. Best tip I can give you is to get off the rear brake. Thats the reason you stalled I would bet, you cause the stall by getting on the rear brake to hard. My tried and true method of coming off of those hills, and I used this all day long without any failure, crest the peek of the hill and get the bike in second. Ease her forward off the crest and let it come up a little in speed, keep on the fronts a little, and dont use the rear at all. Between the engine braking and front brakes you'll do fine. Biggest thing about a downhill to remember is, if you feel like your going to flip forward, gas it, and hold on.

I read somewhere that the worst riding advice you can get is from your friends. "Just Go Fast Man!" LOL biggrin.gif

azcannon

#15 Post by azcannon »

Originally posted by bphillman

I dont think screaming slows you down much!  :p

I can fix that
If you hear me screaming I will just shorten my muffler some more
bout 10" now

cannondalerhino

speed

#16 Post by cannondalerhino »

hey brian, you know you actually need to be on the gas to make yourself scream. you know, get out of second gear!

jwheat

#17 Post by jwheat »

Mike...when you really get comfortable jumping, you can learn to make bigger jumps with the throttle pinned and not have to blip the throttle. But I would save that for later.

The first time I did it, I was on a track that had a double that only the dirtbikes were making. You came out of a tall rythym section into a 180 degree turn and then you had a 15' take off to 50ft double. I would come through the rythym in second, catch third feathering the clutch through the turn, bump it into fourth coming out of the turn and pin it wide open all the way through the take off (no blip). I would JUST make it. I wasn't the fastest guy around the rest of the track, but I made up time on people everytime we came to that section.

RoooStEr Pops

#18 Post by RoooStEr Pops »

and this is the reason I ride flat track (only 8" to to 12" jumps) 2 lefts a right and another left down here in nc keep up with me :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink:

bphillman

#19 Post by bphillman »

Well, I'm happy to work with you on what ever you like. I can ride ok for a white guy! :-)

jesshamner

Re: 40+

#20 Post by jesshamner »

Originally posted by DMAC10

I'm 45 1/2  and still trying to find good riding tips.  =

:rotf :rotf :rotf :rotf :rotf 45 1/2.

badvox, if you're stalling on the down hill, you aren't clutching. Feather the clutch and brake. Usually, if I'm breaking while going downhill, the clutch is all the way in. During a race, I rarely use the engine brake because its too slow. I will free wheel as fast as I can and use the brakes.