Got a deal with Maier, very interesting

ozarkdaler

#11 Post by ozarkdaler »

I will be a millionaire soon. All I have to do is win the power ball...LOL

yamadjs08

#12 Post by yamadjs08 »

**** I was getting my hopes up...

I would kill for the 04 plastics! It wouldn't have to be the 3-4 piece design like Cannondale had originally planned, I would be happy with a one piece hood even, but I would just like to have the quick snap out piece for ease of changing filters. Thing is, we need rear plastics too, they are slowly disappearing (besides red) and they usually crack way before the front hood does...

Oh and Timbo I thought the old molds were destroyed?

Sandstorm

#13 Post by Sandstorm »

ATK will never ever make the 04 plastic. They were broke then and are still broke now. They suck!!

Sand_Blaster

#14 Post by Sand_Blaster »

Wouldn't it be cheaper to just get fullbore?

I love the orignal look of Dales myself, but if I ever need plastic Fullbore is an option. Besides Maier isn't that good laugh.gif

PS: the 04 plastic were vary sweeet cool.gif

ozarkdaler

#15 Post by ozarkdaler »

I will have to agree about maier not being that good because I have had their products on dirt bikes and they turned white in a matter of months.

haydug

#16 Post by haydug »

QUOTE (Sandstorm @ Jan 10 2007, 07:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
ATK will never ever make the 04 plastic. They were broke then and are still broke now. They suck!!

So, does this mean you and Frank won't be dining together anytime soon?? LOL! laugh.gif

UpsMan

#17 Post by UpsMan »

QUOTE (timbomoose @ Jan 10 2007, 01:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
"I'm shocked they're willing to do plastic at only $1500 for tooling. That's insanely cheap"

They didn't mean $1500 tota,l if they did I'd pay for it myself. They meant $1500x500. The cost of the steel alone on a mold that size is insane. $1500 wouldn't even come close to cover the tooling to cut the steel or even cover the design work. A small mold like our valve cover gaskets is a $10,000 mold.There are cheaper ways of doing it like making a fiberglass mold from the prototype 04, than a plastic injection mold.Sorry to say I highly doubt atk has the money to make a set of front plastic,heck they're not even paying to make new colors which people would buy of the old plastic where the molds even exist. I think the only way we're going to get a project like this to happen is to get some movie star or millionaire into Cannondales,anyone know one hopefully?

My thoughts exactly.

cannondale27

#18 Post by cannondale27 »

I have seen the mold they use.They arent steel they are some type of foam.I believe there plastic is vacuum formed rather than injection molded thats why its cheaper.The old stuff used to turn white but since they went with shiny I never had that problem.Still it would be $1500 and 500 sets of plastic.Unless they were just kidding.

Blasterboy11

#19 Post by Blasterboy11 »

The molds are $1500 each, theyre the "Foam" molds, they vacuum form them (im pretty sure) id be all over em, not a big fan of the 04 plastics, i just want different colors (including the carbon!) and maybe some hoods or add ons etc...

jesshamner

#20 Post by jesshamner »

Do you need 500 people or 500 sets of plastic? I assumed just 500 sets of plastic. That might not be too hard to get. If the $1500 for a form is true, that definitely won't be hard to get. I need some black plastic again. I think it is by far the best color for the cdale.
I think the 04 plastic is cool but its too Robocop for me. The lights are ugly and there are too many flat panels on it. Something similar with a little more style and no headlights or headlights in a different configurations might be cool.