My Drug is Back!

Happyboy

#11 Post by Happyboy »

hosts can change a box name or ip address without affecting the database. why they would do that i don't know...bad service. but hey, i am in a very large tech company...you would be shocked at the things i have seen.

Jaybr

#12 Post by Jaybr »

QUOTE (cdalerider75 @ Apr 9 2007, 10:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Get a new host.. I have never had a host go down.. or change settings

I am not sure if I buy the host changed settings.... if the host gave you a new IP address.. how come you didn't lose the db?? Something doesn't add up here..

I hope timbo is backing up the db every other day...

Using the host "network tools" in the control panel here the address was listed as 208.x.x.x. The domain name is hosted at Dotster, and we where using Dotsters name servers, they had the IP address as 174.x.x.x. I can guarantee you nothing was changed on the nameservers, I repointed the domain name to use the Invission name servers and that corrected the problem.

The database sits in our directory structure on the server, so IP changes have no effect on the database. Not to mention, Invision updated their DNS, which I'm sure their servers all point to.

Your post seems to imply that I'm not telling the truth. I have no reason to lie about it, I rarely even visit the site anymore. I don't know what might have been done between Thursday and this morning, but when I got notified I took care of it.

wanablaze

#13 Post by wanablaze »

Thanx for taking the time to fix the site, Jaybr. I know you're not paid to do so and that you have a family and full time job. Your assistance is greatly appreciated, I was about to lose it!

P.S. You should stop in to say hi every now and again.

kdeal

#14 Post by kdeal »

Thanks Jay! Your assistance was very much appreciated!

biggrin.gif

Jaybr

#15 Post by Jaybr »

Thanks guys,

Wasn't looking for appreciation, just don't like it when someone implies that I wasn't telling the truth.

cdalerider75

#16 Post by cdalerider75 »

Look after years of being on these forums one thing that I know that b/c your not face to face text gets read wrong..

"Get a new host.. I have never had a host go down.. or change settings " Simply stating that out of the hosts that I have used for personal sites and now company sites.. I have never had a host go down or change the settings.. (ok maybe for a reboot, but most folks would never see the reboot)

"I am not sure if I buy the host changed settings.... if the host gave you a new IP address.. how come you didn't lose the db?? Something doesn't add up here.."

I am not trying to imply that you made a false statement.. but more with "hey I understand how this stuff works.. and I thought if someone changes the IP address on you.. well your db might not be on that IP address or name server..

Sorry if you took it the wrong way; wasn't meant to be

On another note.. Timbo get that domain moved to Godaddy.. easy and only takes 3 days to process.. Then transfer your host (more like move your files then cancel the Invision host) after all to host with Invision it is $10.99 a month.. go with godaddy for $3.99 a month

Than bring someone on board as the tech guy besides calling Jay.. so you have 2 guys that you can contact

haydug

#17 Post by haydug »

Cdalerider75: This amuses me to see you back here posting. I thought you took your ball and went home. Now what, you are wanting back in the game? LOL.. Then what, you gonna get mad and delete everything again. I'm guessing it was alot quieter around here without you. If you need company, go to your website and chat it up (oh wait, nobody was there!). laugh.gif
How does that egg in the face taste anyway?

Oh, and you trying to give Jay a lesson on computers is pretty funny I might add. I'm sure he could program circles around you with his eyes closed. Now, don't take that is an insult and throw out another jealous rage, just the facts. What next: gonna give wistech tips on rebuilding a cannondale motor? blink.gif