The MMI Debate

cannondale27

#11 Post by cannondale27 »

If I were an employer hiring the biggest thing a degree or certification would show me is that the person holding it had the fortitude to complete a degree.That does mean something even though they may not be up to real world standards.From there it would be a simple matter of on the job testing.When I went to tech school I believe the biggest thing I got out of it was the commitment I gave it.No one made me go there,no one gave me $ to pay,no one was worrying about my grades except me.That did change me for the better.My teachers were also very good though.Well respected and tradesmen themselves they had my respect.In the end though I got hired as a machinist for alot more $ than I could ever have gotten working for someone else as a auto mechanic.At the end of the course there were only 8 of the original classmates left although a couple took jobs early.I have kept in touch with 4 of them and all have gotten into different fields except for one who went on to more school and became a manager of a dealership.I am not sure but I would tend to believe that although a very small % some of these MMI grads must be doing very well.Look at the schooling itself as the challenge.If the teachers are morons think of the moron customers you will have to deal with in a nice polite and flattering way.If they make you take all kinds of unrelated classes like English and Psychology for a mechanics degree look at it as the record keeping,accounting and advertising you would have to do in order to succeed at any business you run yourself.Tough decisions you have to make but hopefully you will do right one and find the challenge you need.

Psychosis

#12 Post by Psychosis »

Thanks for the replies and input guys as it's greatly appreciated. I believe I'm going to stop and go after what I was going to do originally and try to put the two together into something.

C27: The difference between where you went and MMI from the sound of it is this:
All but one teacher I've had has owned and ran their own dealership/shop out of business or had only experience in their own garage. At MMI they only require 3yrs of real world experience to be a teacher and most have barely that. An example is that if you go to MMI, graduate, work at a dealer for a year, then apply to be a teacher, you'll get the job. There's quite a few like that there.

And again, all but one teacher I've had so far out of like 9 of them has basically said, here's some manuals, read them to know what you need to do, do it, and I'll sign your work forms off. None have actually taught anything. They literally give us a standard bike manual and a topic to perform and that's it. If you mess up they criticize and say to redo it until you figure it out w/very little help; though not really needed anyway. And every teacher has different standards. In my electrical class I had three instructors. One would tell you one way, another a different way, and the third yet another. If you did a project and one said no, you wouldn't have to do anything but go to another and they'd say yes. Too contradicting and makes me wonder if any of them knew what they were talking about.

Another example of lies here: every instructor talks about how much money you can make being a mechanic at a dealer. More than a handful claim they were making upwards of $100k a year. When someone asked why they are working for like $30+k at a school in stead, they each say to give back to the future of the industry. Now from what these instructors drove, acted, lived, etc, it'd be hard to believe they even make $30k a year or every have. There's so many lies and so much bullshit fed to the students. Lies upon lies to get more people to come. Not one thing I was told when I toured the facility has been happening. ****, like I mentioned earlier, they don't even have anyone who knows anything, nor any equipment to work w/fuel injection yet. How many years has that been in the industry now?!

cannondale27

#13 Post by cannondale27 »

Yes it sounds like you might be better off taking a job at a shop and learning the ropes there.Might mean doing tire/oil changes for awhile though.Look for a shop whos owner races and rides.

Psychosis

#14 Post by Psychosis »

I already have a couple years experience in two different shops doing all that and more advanced things than I've done at MMI. Not sure if I'm going to go back home or where exactly. Lot of factors to go through. I know hannibal is going home later this year though. He no longer gets on here or I'm sure he'd have some choice words.

jesshamner

#15 Post by jesshamner »

Ok, maybe I can help a little since I graduated college a couple years ago. I wen to a 4 year college and got a degree. I thought I was going to be able to jump up the food chain and pay scalel quickly. In reality, it was hard to get a job even. I interned first to get my foot in the door. Then I proved myself. I jumped up in responsibilty a little but pay didn't jump as much as I would like. Now they have moved me to a different department. My pay stayed the same but I'm back to the bottom in the chain of command in that department.

What my experience shows is that the committment to get a degree is only good for the next step. It doesn't necessarily promise you anything except time to figure out what you want to do. The harder you work the better off you'll be. Ultimately, you have to bring in money to the company to pay yourself. Or, you have to have that million dollar idea. And you can do either one of those with or without a degree if you prove yourself at first and get your foot in the door. You can be doing oil changes and have a revolutionary idea.

I have friends younger than me that are making way more than I am and in better positions. Maybe 1 or 2 were lucky and in the right place at the right time. But they all work hard and started from the bottom. 4 years of experience vs. 4 years of education...experience will win every time.

theJeStEr1340

#16 Post by theJeStEr1340 »

I go to a Univeristy, NC State. and most of my teachers aren't teachers, they are researchers. They knwo the material **** good, but can't teach worth a ****. IT's expensive too. Good luck with whatever you do.

cannondale27

#17 Post by cannondale27 »

That goes to my point.Most advanced schooling is up to the student to learn.Its not like grade school where the teacher came to your desk and showed you exactly what to do.Its up to you to figure out how,how much and how fast you want to learn.Kind of like life.The tools are attainable or should be.

rayspeed

#18 Post by rayspeed »

Here is a creative way to break it to your dad in case you have not done that yet...

Dear Dad,
It is with great regret and sorrow that I'm writing you. I had to elope with my new girlfriend because I wanted to avoid a scene with Mom and you. I have been finding real passion with Stacy and she is so nice. But I knew you would not approve of her because of all her piercings, tattoos, tight motorcycle clothes and the fact that she is much older than I am. But it's not only the passion...Dad she's pregnant. Stacy said that we will be very happy. She owns a trailer in the woods and has a stack of firewood for the whole winter.We share a dream of having many more children. Stacy has opened my eyes to the fact that marijuana doesn't really hurt anyone. We'll be growing it for ourselves and trading it with the other people that live nearby for cocaine and ecstasy. In the meantime we will pray that science will find a cure for AIDS so Stacy can get better. She deserves it. Don't worry Dad. I'm 18 and I know how to take care of myself. Someday I'm sure that we will be back to visit so that you can get to know your grandchildren.

Love,
Your Son

PS. Dad, none of the above is true. I just wanted to remind you that there are worse things that dropping out of a stupid school.

Call me when it is safe to come home.

cannondale27

#19 Post by cannondale27 »

laugh.gif Thats a keeper!

jesshamner

#20 Post by jesshamner »

LMAO. Good post.