Need more Octane

cannondale27

#11 Post by cannondale27 »

Like Pete said in a can like VP is safest bet. But like you I am running Pump race gas at 13.5:1 and no issues. Speed1B is 16:1 cc'ed. That's alot more than what we have. Very extreme.

cannondale27

#12 Post by cannondale27 »

Ace hows it running with Power Commander on there? Sure do appreciate your effort there. Will make things much easier for everyone.

Speed 1B

#13 Post by Speed 1B »

I want this thing to be primarily an all motor race gas bike. The reasons for that is simply the more classes I can race. As soon as you throw on a bottle or run alchohol you are an open class bike. What fun is it to race 1 or 2 classes when you can run 4 or 5? I won 2 state open class championships without power adders...set-up wins races.

I do plan on trying it on alchohol this winter though after we get it set-up 100% on gas. Should just be a simple injector swap. Would be fun for tracks that you are actually allowed to run it at.

desertbound

#14 Post by desertbound »

Another option is a octane booster that Torco makes. It comes in a can like C12. 5 gallons of that stuff will turn 100 gallons of 91 octane to 110. It is an additive that a lot of the pro street guys use. IT works really well and is around $49 for the 5 gallons. I'm not sure of the compatibility with race fuel, but I'm sure you could boost your octane that way. C16 is a good fuel by vp also. 116 octane should be plenty. I do agree with everyone else that methanol is probably your best bet. What about E85? Ethanol will give you power gains like methanol, and will protect against detonation. You would have to switch to alcohol safe o rings and fuel line, but it may be an alternative that would save cost in the long run. I ran F&L 118 in my yfz, and I was at 16-1 at one point. It was really expensive though. almost $20 a gallon.

Speed 1B

#15 Post by Speed 1B »

Thanks for the imput desertbound.

I did alot of research tonight and it looks like VP C25 is the best bet. I just dont want to run too much octane and hurt power. Turbo Blue 116 looks good too depending on availibility, but i should be able to get it. Im thinking the 118 klotz might be too much octane. These fuels designed for nitrous are going to be over kill. Thats why the C25 looks so good. Its the NHRA prostock and prostock bike fuel. All motor set-ups around 17:1 compression.

desertbound

#16 Post by desertbound »

That sounds like a perfect fuel.

jinx44

#17 Post by jinx44 »

I have been hearing some great things about VP's new Q16 in the car world. It is an oxygenated fuel.

QUOTE (peterock @ Jul 13 2008, 04:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I was thinking of trying the 105 octane E85

The problem with E85 is the consistancy of the fuel. It varies almost month to month, and station to station. The ethanol percentage of E85 is from 60-90% throughout the year. Here in missouri, you can only get 80+% during june, july, and august. I say 80+ because some suppliers never mix it above 80, and some go higher so different stations will vary.

With the stoich of gas and ethanol roughly 5 points different, changing mixing ratio will several mess with your air/fuel. On an EFI system based soley on open loop like C'dales have, you will have to check the tune with every fill up.

peterock

#18 Post by peterock »

We have several pumps located right next to the processing plants here so we should have a lot better luck with the consistency of our E85. I should check to see if I can get 100% ethanol from them actually.

jinx44

#19 Post by jinx44 »

QUOTE (peterock @ Jul 14 2008, 06:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
We have several pumps located right next to the processing plants here so we should have a lot better luck with the consistency of our E85. I should check to see if I can get 100% ethanol from them actually.

Its still going to vary throughout the year. It has to do to the problems with alcohol fuels.

There are a couple places here that I can buy E100 (E98 actually), either in bulk or by the barrel.

Don't get me wrong. I think E85 is a great fuel for performance. My turbo build will be on E85. However, fuel for it will all be purchased in the summer, or I will mix my own using straight ethanol.

peterock

#20 Post by peterock »

I do know if you run 100% ethanol, you have to add something to lubricate the pump and injectors as well.