Frustrating problems with your Cannondale?

cannondale27

#11 Post by cannondale27 »

QUOTE (2003cannondale @ Jan 23 2009, 11:35 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
27, I still have the speed. I just took afew weeks off from working on it. It was getting the best of me. Plus I needed to save some $ for the wiring harness and computer. So if any one has a rev 8 harness and a spare computer forsale let me know.

Awesome! In meantime you should send your ecu over to me and I will check to see if there is still life to it. No need to buy a new one unless yours is actually bad. Send it over.

kdeal

#12 Post by kdeal »

QUOTE (2003cannondale @ Jan 23 2009, 12:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
27, I still have the speed. I just took afew weeks off from working on it. It was getting the best of me. Plus I needed to save some $ for the wiring harness and computer. So if any one has a rev 8 harness and a spare computer forsale let me know.

There are a lot of spare ECUs floating around and they have never been cheaper than recently. However, send it to C27 first to check it. A rev 5 harness is not bad you just need to update it. I may have a spare rev 8 harness floating around, I will check if you really need it.

kdeal

#13 Post by kdeal »

QUOTE (rayspeed @ Jan 23 2009, 12:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Anthony might be on to something here... maybe this is a good place to share stories of a previous frustration that turned out to be something minor, a mistake you or somebody else made or just one of those "If I had only known" this, that would not have happened.

There are no problems with these machines that somebody else has not experienced, the more that is shared the less the unknown and that can be a big part of the issue.

BTW I am not saying that it is not OK to vent a little now and then just keep in mind that it can have an effect on other people especially when you are also asking for help. Those that do research their problem sometimes end up adding to their bad state of mind by reading old posts from people who have gotten more emotional than they needed to.

As if their angst is going to fix thier problem faster or get them better advise.

Just imagine somebody coming to you for what ever it is you do filled with frustration, bitterness and preconcieved notions... they have a problem they cant figure out and they want you to tell them how to fix it... on your own time I might add... one click of the mouse and poof they are gone with their problems. I have to do this here sometimes... now if I could do that at work!

Edit post button could be used more often I think!
Ray

OK, me first.....

I spent three and 1/2 days this past weekend working on 2 1/2 motors. We got the motors apart and cleaned the first night and I decided to go ahead and tap out all of the case holes because someone (ATK) had used the permanent type of red loctite to build them with. I broke a 5mm tap off in one of the scavenge pump cover holes. You want to talk about a pain in the butt! I tried to back it out but no luck. I let it sit while I worked on the other motor. These were both high end motors with 6mm + strokers (498cc & 505cc). We assembled the other motor and went back to trying to get the broken tap out. We ended up drilling out the back and knocking it out from the scavenge area. We drilled and tapped the hole and plugged the backside and continued on to building the motor. I now had 2 motors assembled and had finished the other 1/2 motor and we started doing timing checks. Nothing would come in line! Having never gone for big timing numbers that these big motors need, I was lost on how best to get them in time. What was worst is that I couldn't even get them to normal specs (106/106). I called the masters and did a little brain storming. I was running out of time as we had spent a day and half trying to get these two big monsters in some sort of cam timing. I finally ended up moving the cam idler gear one tooth to get both cams to 106 on the 505 and then due to time constraints just advance the intake to 108 and buttoned it up. The 498 motor (with Falicon crank) was driving me nuts. I finally figured out (on my own) that the Falicon was 3 degrees off on the TDC bolt and once corrected on the timing wheel lined up for 105.5/105.5. Due to no more time left I advanced the intake to 107.5 and let it go.

Well yesterday they dynoed the 505 in a motorcycle and got some ridiculously low numbers even though the bike smoked the tire on the dyno and had to be strapped down again to control the rear tire. It also shut down at about 8300 RPM. (Tim as thinking it would peak about 9800 with the lower timing numbers and we set the rev limiter to 10,200 in the map.

The possible solutions are a slightly spun flywheel (advancing the ignition timing), corrupted Hex Code in the ECU & a possible bad ECU. These have all happened to other motors with other members. We also noticed that the AFR was a little too high (lean) at around 14:1. They were using 110 octane race fuel straight from the can. Another thing was a Power Commander being used with an unknown map in it. (This will be zeroed out on the next runs). It will be used on the dyno to make easy changes.

So they will check the above and try again. It is very frustrating to spend some serious money and only get normal numbers. Per Timbo this motor should at least see about 52 HP with these numbers and about 5-7 more with the right timing numbers.

Back to the drawing board.............. wacko.gif

alexw1991

#14 Post by alexw1991 »

QUOTE (kdeal @ Jan 23 2009, 01:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
There are a lot of spare ECUs floating around and they have never been cheaper than recently. However, send it to C27 first to check it. A rev 5 harness is not bad you just need to update it. I may have a spare rev 8 harness floating around, I will check if you really need it.

27, I will do that pm me your address and I will send it to you. I went out lastnight and hooked it to my pc and it told me it coulden't find the ECU.

Kdeal, 27 told me to just forget the rev 5 harness and go with the rev 8. I have some of the updates done to this one but the last owner of the quad chopped it up, so if you have one you can sell me pm me.

Thanks
everyone...

kevin444

#15 Post by kevin444 »

wow....just got home and was amazed to see the so many responses in this thread. let me say one thing. i've been surfing all types of forums in the past years for various projects; mainly V8 stuff for both my long gone stangs and truck, but never posted once....jsut read. Since i've been a member of this site i've posted so many times with questions and comments with nothing but great feed back and i plan on offerign the same to anyone looking for help. it would be great to me up for one of the group rides in the near future; are there any offical group ride locations / dates setup yet? i'm just looking forard to my back healing up so i can actually get a chance to see whay it is like to ride a dale. so far wha i can say that it seems to be in a league of its own and the suspension is really tight compared to other quads i've ridden espically my raptor 660; which i have given no attention to since the day i got her compared to the countless hours i've given my new ride! glad to be part of the group and hopefully will catch up in person one day. everyone keep up the good work; this site has become somewhat of an addicition.....

MX Quad Dad

#16 Post by MX Quad Dad »

I guess I'm one of the few who haven't earned the right to ride the Cannondale. We did have to learn some the hard way but, in no way does it compare to the heartaches a lot of dalers have had.

My son somehow figured out the starting techneic, which is recomended today. which most likely saved us a battery or two

The early seering stems allowed the tierods to contact the frame, which we didn't catch right away

we had two DNFs and a crash during practice because a small rock got caught in the front wheel and locked it up. I think this is more likely because of the wave rotors, but a simple home made alluminum shield took care of that problem.

We lost an axil, carrier bearing and carrier housing because we were keepping the chain at the minumum slack according to the manual

and that took us through the first season. other than these minor problems the Moto ran flawlessly.

I did rebuild the engine after the first season and had a compression release mech. fail shortly after. But by that time the Z400 bearing had been proven so i pulled it down and took care of that also.

I know this sounds like I'm bragging and maybe I am a little. But I find it hard to believe I am the only one who has had good luck with the Cannondales. Of coarse some people would have made a lot more out of my minor problems than I did and some may have thought less. Our two dales are the newest quads we own but, I would say the hours on them are harder and probubly as many if not more than our other quads, and the reliabilty is as good or better than all the others we have

speedracer

#17 Post by speedracer »

Its VERY easy to get disgusted with these quads.I cant count how many times I wanted to give up and sell them.I just vent to dog,he is always watching me fiddle with them.He knows alot of curse words! LOL.

cannondale27

#18 Post by cannondale27 »

laugh.gif Yea my dog is used to it.I will be cussing dog just looks up for a minute and goes back to sleep!Always calms me down.

Cndale97x

#19 Post by Cndale97x »

I can't remember who said it on this site but it went something like "You don't just buy a Dale you have to earn one." I don't think truer words have ever been spoken. My ex-girlfriend's brother has a Moto and he's the on that introduced me to this site and told me what I would be in for when I bought my first Dale. I've had some of the frustrating issues the broken slave, backed out tranny plate bolt, but none of that was remembered when passing guys on the track with 520 trx's and full blown MX bikes and the people asking "what is that" I miss my Dale but I will buy another one when the time is right (my 2-wheeled dale will depart for home on Friday Thanks James) If it wasn't for CannondaleRiders.com I know I would have given up a long time ago and never came back so THANKS TO ALL OFF YOU!!!!