finally had a failure---guesses

Happyboy

#11 Post by Happyboy »

Haven't looked at the exhaust valves yet. Still gotta pull the exhaust off. But, before i walked out the door this morning i pulled the clutch cover off. Timing chain is not broken but it is all the way loose. That explains why the piston is still going up and down but the intake valves are not moving. So, probobly a broken chain guide. I didn't look much in there to see what was broken, had to get to work. ug...driving in the rain for an hour to work...yay.

kdeal

#12 Post by kdeal »

QUOTE (Happyboy @ Oct 13 2009, 08:59 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Haven't looked at the exhaust valves yet. Still gotta pull the exhaust off. But, before i walked out the door this morning i pulled the clutch cover off. Timing chain is not broken but it is all the way loose. That explains why the piston is still going up and down but the intake valves are not moving. So, probobly a broken chain guide. I didn't look much in there to see what was broken, had to get to work. ug...driving in the rain for an hour to work...yay.

How would the chain being loose not open the valves? UNLESS the chain came off the sprocket. But that could have ugly results. I would not crank the motor over any more until you know for sure.

Happyboy

#13 Post by Happyboy »

its off the lower sprocket. just hanging there loose.

claas900

#14 Post by claas900 »

QUOTE (Happyboy @ Oct 13 2009, 08:31 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
its off the lower sprocket. just hanging there loose.

Easy Fix,put it back on and go. LOL

moto440

#15 Post by moto440 »

could be the chain guide on the tensioner side. just took one of mine apart and the guide was cracked not all the way yet but couldnt have been too far away from going

Happyboy

#16 Post by Happyboy »

I am going to get home and hopefully yank it out of the frame tonight. Should be interesting taking those covers off. I'm sure I'll be peaking hoping for the best as I open her up. If the chain did just come off I hope the valves got lucky and cleared the piston. And if they didn't they just didnt' hurt the head too badly.

kdeal

#17 Post by kdeal »

Sean,

The bottom crank nut may have come loose and let the timing chain walk. And yes luck will have it where you will have no top end damage. I've got my fingers crossed for you.

Happyboy

#18 Post by Happyboy »

Well, looks like i might have a very lucky failure. Looks like a broken timing chain guide. woot smile.gif It appears the guide broke and the chain flew off and landed between the gears up top allowing enough slack below that the crank gear didn't grab it. Wow, i could see that failure being nasty.

Both sets of valve open and close easily, but i still might have tweaked valves, won't know until i pull the head off. Besides a little rubbing on the oil bridge there is virtually no damage on the tranny side. I'll be pulling and inspecting everythign tomorrow when i tear is down the rest of the way. When looking at the cams they look great, but it appears the exhaust cam bearing is going. Luck or was it affected by the timing chain mishap? Hrmmm...we'll see when i pull it apart the rest of the way. Cam Caps look good.

[attachment=9155:DCAM0046.JPG]

[attachment=9156:DCAM0045.JPG]

[attachment=9157:DCAM0049.JPG]

gml1998

#19 Post by gml1998 »

QUOTE (Happyboy @ Oct 13 2009, 07:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well, looks like i might have a very lucky failure. Looks like a broken timing chain guide. woot smile.gif It appears the guide broke and the chain flew off and landed between the gears up top allowing enough slack below that the crank gear didn't grab it. Wow, i could see that failure being nasty.

Both sets of valve open and close easily, but i still might have tweaked valves, won't know until i pull the head off. Besides a little rubbing on the oil bridge there is virtually no damage on the tranny side. I'll be pulling and inspecting everythign tomorrow when i tear is down the rest of the way. When looking at the cams they look great, but it appears the exhaust cam bearing is going. Luck or was it affected by the timing chain mishap? Hrmmm...we'll see when i pull it apart the rest of the way. Cam Caps look good.

[attachment=9155:DCAM0046.JPG]

[attachment=9156:DCAM0045.JPG]

[attachment=9157:DCAM0049.JPG]

It's nice to see that occasionally there is someone that doesn't have a catastrophic failure. tongue.gif

moto440

#20 Post by moto440 »

That's the exact same thing that would have happened to me if I hadn't torn my stock moto down for rebuild glad I didn't end up rolloin the dice on it like I did the other one