What happened to the workers in the factory when they shut down

cannondale32

#11 Post by cannondale32 »

Ya hopefully, I was also wonderin if any of em kept the dirtbikes and quads (if they had any) or if they just got rid of em or if theres any on the site

dvrack

#12 Post by dvrack »

QUOTE (jesshamner @ Dec 9 2011, 10:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yeah I like that plastic the best except there wasn't a spar cover.

I dont know about you but my spars covers are the first thing to get scuffed up on new plastic and kinda like the aluminum frame showing.

jesshamner

#13 Post by jesshamner »

QUOTE (dvrack @ Dec 11 2011, 11:05 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I dont know about you but my spars covers are the first thing to get scuffed up on new plastic and kinda like the aluminum frame showing.

Have you ever touched one after you have been riding for a long time? LOL. It gets pretty hot. Maybe not hot enough to burn your leg but it would get uncomfortable in the summer. I agree it looks beautiful though.

polyesterpig

#14 Post by polyesterpig »

Funny thing this thread came up. A couple weeks ago I had my cannondales outside while I was cleaning out the garage. A guy came up to me and said he worked for cannondales during the motorsports division in marketing or sales. He told me how he was with the Montgomery owners when sept 11th hit. He had to drive back to California because he couldn't get a flight back. He said he was still in touch with some of the ex cannondale workers and was excited to see people still interested in them. He is back at cannondale, working for the bicycle division. His name was Steve (not Maz) or Scott, I am bad with names. He no longer owns any cannondales and regrets it. I have recently seen him driving a company cannondale van in the neighborhood. I will try to get some more history from him. A real nice guy.

kdeal

#15 Post by kdeal »

Unfortunately, the bicycle division (which was still going strong after the bankruptcy), was sold to a Chinese company and the "made in USA" is no more. The quality has gotten worse (from one of the best) and in my opinion will soon be building K-Mart bicycles or be no more.

cannondale32

#16 Post by cannondale32 »

Poleyester that's awesome it will be real cool to find out some history on them maybe you can have them join the site and we can find some hidden knowledge wink.gif

yamadjs08

#17 Post by yamadjs08 »

I know you can go to an archive website and go to cannondales old motorsports website. They had a factory tour page on the site, lots of pictures of factory workers. Always wondered what those people were doing now. I'll have to find the archive site, its like going back in time, very strange.

trav

#18 Post by trav »

hello, yea, i worked thier with MAZ in chasis R&D. we were prep'n bikes for a morning ride when 9-11 hit. they left people go home early cause nobody new what was happening. the plane crash in somerset was like 35-40min from our factory.

i do know 1 employee from finland, went to denli after the shutdown. my swedish bud's also worked with him at folan. his names, forgive the spelling i know its wrong, "Haeki Pengula". he did engine development.

some other guys i worked with, came from the bike plant. after the shutdown they got their old jobs back, then a year later some of them got laid off, the bike factory did some down sizing before selling out.

paul hammerstom worked with developing the carbon fiber axle, YEA, CARBON AXLE!!! and alum upper front a-arms, is now working with FOX shok's bicycle division.

speedracer

#19 Post by speedracer »

What ever became of the carbon axle and swingarm?Who ever has that is one lucky SOB!

cannondale32

#20 Post by cannondale32 »

yamadjs08 I really hope you can find that website it sounds really interesting lol Let me know if you do