Oil

Ryanstones

#11 Post by Ryanstones »

I can't believe i agree with derno!:eek:

What you talkin about NRath? Amsoil 20/50 is all i've run in both engine and tranny. First engine failed at 250 hrs and it had nothing to do with the oil type.

the type if far less important than how often it is changed IMO.

Ryanstones

#12 Post by Ryanstones »

I heard amsoilSYNTHETIC was just rebadged Mobil1.

Derno24

#13 Post by Derno24 »

Wow you agreed with me. Now I must agree with you. Ryan is right the frequency of changing is more important than what the oil is. Not saying you need to change it everytime you ride. Just stating that every other race. Or once a month if you ride on the weekends would be fair.

Now the disagreement. Mobil1 isn't the same. I have both and even redline and they all look different and have different qualities. I got bored one night and started playing with oil. I know I am sooooooooo cool!:eek:

thunderwolf

#14 Post by thunderwolf »

Originally posted by Derno24
 I got bored one night and started playing with oil in the bath tub and found out that oil and water don't mix.  I know I am sooooooooo cool!:eek:

:wow biggrin.gif

Derno24

#15 Post by Derno24 »

Somehow you really saw what I was saying. Great job thunderwolf!!

You are just upset you weren't doing the same thing!tongue.gif

CptHook

#16 Post by CptHook »

the mobil 1 with the red cap is 15w-50, is that ok to use?

NRath

#17 Post by NRath »

I was just referring to the viscosity. 20-50 is obviously a little thicker than 10-40. In a new engine, clearances are tight and thicker oil isn't going to flow as well as thinner. Like we all do, I was expressing my opinion. In a new engine, I'd run 10-40 as recommended by the people that designed and built our engines.

I'm certainly not dissing Amsoil, from what I've heard, they have great products!

And Ryanstones... the last time I saw you putting oil in your 'dale, the jug said Winn Dixie on the side of it!!! tongue.gif tongue.gif J/K!

And I whole heartedly agree with you guys on frequent oil changes. I'm also a big fan of checking/cleaning the oil filter after every ride.

CptHook

#18 Post by CptHook »

well Ive been to at least 5 auto and motorsports stores and I cant find redline anywhere, and the only amsoil I can find is 2 cycle engine oil, and I havent seen any of the others mentioned, so I guess Im either going to have to go with that 15w-50 mobil 1 or some other generic 10w-40 oil

thomez

#19 Post by thomez »

If you are buying Redline the place to do it is www.summitracing.com

I would stick with the Mobil 1 Red Cap that you can get anywhere.

NRath

#20 Post by NRath »

If I remember correctly, Jay just told me that Advance Auto is now carrying Redline!