rare fx 400 pics

4strokemadman

#11 Post by 4strokemadman »

I'm 90% sure that motor came out of an MX400. The original water pump cover had a 90 degree bend in it and didn't stick straight out.

I don't beleive that shock was used in the original either. The first shock at the show had a yellow spring. We used that same shock for the running prototype. I remember receiving that shock and it sat for a long time out back, but we could've used it at some point, my memory is fading... I remember testing a shock with a red spring from Arvin but not Fox....

Good stuff brings back loads of memories!!!

4strokemadman

#12 Post by 4strokemadman »

Thats the one!! I really don't ever remember using the one with the blue resevoir.

theJeStEr1340

#13 Post by theJeStEr1340 »

4 stroke what did you do at cannondale?

4strokemadman

#14 Post by 4strokemadman »

Another engineer and I designed the original FX400. I then went on to design the the Moto440 (with a ton of help from the other guys on the team) and some other stufff... About the same time I took over managing the engineering department for motorsports, which I did until the end.

cannondale27

#15 Post by cannondale27 »

Guys take a good look at the plastic right where your knees would be.Talk about narrow!I wonder if a stock set of plastic could be setup like that?Anyone want to try some heating and bending?All we would need are different spar covers.

protraxrptr17

#16 Post by protraxrptr17 »

What do you do now 4strokemadman? If you don't mind me asking. That must have been the coolest job in the world.

jesshamner

#17 Post by jesshamner »

Originally posted by cannondale27
Guys take a good look at the plastic right where your knees would be.Talk about narrow!I wonder if a stock set of plastic could be setup like that?Anyone want to try some heating and bending?All we would need are different spar covers.

I love that plastic. I have thought about shaving the plastic down a little just so my knees don't hit the edge of the plastic. That hurts so bad when you over shoot a jump and the first thing that hits is the knee on that edge...ouch! I know it would look ugly but at least it would feel a little better and my knees would go back to their normal color.

haydug

#18 Post by haydug »

Must have been sleeping, just came across this.
Couple of queastions: 1, where is the battery on this quad?
2, is the steering stem mount a round billet peice??
I'm sure I'll see some more stuff, but if 4-stroke would answer those, I'd appreciate it. :usa

OH, and thank you for all the hard work and time you have invested in the Cannondale Paul. I know it is very sad what happened, but you have made the atv world a better place. I don't think yamaha or honda would have stepped up without the dale.

cdrookie

#19 Post by cdrookie »

nickg, what's the green thing in the background of the engine pics? looks like a 84-85 tecate 3 headlight.smile.gif

4strokemadman

#20 Post by 4strokemadman »

Protraxrptr: I am currently a consultant for FOX Racing Shox.

Haydug: The battery is where the airbox currently is. Yes that is a round billet piece. I have pics, if anyone wants to resize them for posting I'd be more than happy to send them.

Also thanks for the compliment, but remember I was one part of a great team of people. I have never worked with a more enthusiastic team of people in my life. All the way from the engineers to the people on the line making it happen, it was truly an amazing time!