Yamaha Cranks

sillysspeed

#11 Post by sillysspeed »

yeah hondi hasn't has as many problems yet but give it a little time. Actually I'd rather have my Cannondale anyday than a hondi. Handmade in the USA!!! :usa

cannondale27

#12 Post by cannondale27 »

Keep in mind these quads are modified pretty heavily and turn out right around 50 hp.Just this week a crf motored quad shot the rod right through the case.I think at 50hp none of the 450 motors are going to be considered reliable.Might just have to live with that.Stock I havent heard of a single crank failure of a Yamaha or Honda.

cannondale27

Pics of Yama crank apart

#13 Post by cannondale27 »

Check out the wear in pin.Everthing else was perfect!

cannondale27

Bearing

#14 Post by cannondale27 »

Bearing has 21 rollers bronze cage which just seperates the rollers it sits way off the pin so it doesnt hit the pin and wreak it.This type bearing is used in all Jap motors and should have been used in out cranks.Just makes sense!

cannondale27

Crankpin Temper

#15 Post by cannondale27 »

I tested the Yamaha pin it was 93 Rockwell on c scale.My failed Winky crank was 73 Rockwell.

claas900

#16 Post by claas900 »

..Hey cannon17 whats the latest on the Winky crank?..last I remember he was working on another fix for this?? And should be done in a few weeks..I think that was months ago?..Do you have the latest on that??

KYmxracer52

#17 Post by KYmxracer52 »

I emailed Winky about some kits a few weeks ago, and he said they were still testing a few motors with different setups. He said by this winter, they should have a definate winner picked out.

cannondale27

#18 Post by cannondale27 »

I am still waiting for mine back.It has been promised every fri for last few weeks.Says he is waiting for machine work.

claas900

#19 Post by claas900 »

..Yeah Cannon27 for what its worth..i waited 6 Months,got that same line over and over....my best advice is to do something different...but even i wish i knew what that "different" thing was??

....He said he'll have something this winter?..plz..thats a joke!! all he is doing is putting Cannon's on the back burner..By then so many more Cannon's will be lost it wont even be worth it..

86atc250r

Failures

#20 Post by 86atc250r »

Every manufacturer will have failures - especially when you're dealing with modified quads.

Several have said "see Cannondale's aren't the only ones with problems"

The thing is - lets not kid ourselves.. In my experience, the vast majority of Cannondale owners have or will suffer a serious engine failure of some sort - where the vast majority of owners of Hondas and Yamahas will not.

In our circle - every Cannondale owner except one so far has had at least one major failure - stock or modified. Even my old Cannondale's engine came apart, lucklily I cut my losses & got rid of it before it happened.

So far no one with a Yamaha or Honda quad has suffered a failure at all. I'm sure one of us will- heck, it may be me - but I suspect that many of us will be doing a lot more riding and a lot less working in the next season or two on our new school 450s.

I'm not "bashing" Cannondale or people who still believe in them - just don't like to see gloating over other brands failures (even if it is the Yamahas wink.gif).

Remember Karma - you start gloating over somoeone elses misfortune, you better expect to get a little back your way.