Gas cap/ gas cap vent

haydug

#11 Post by haydug »

I have heard of other horror stories about the vents. When McGrath had his first bad wreck on the KTM, they think the vent wasn't breathing enough which caused the bike to sputter on the face of a jump.

JST

#12 Post by JST »

DAMMMMM looks like I need to stay away from them,I definately don't need any help w/problems.

thomez

#13 Post by thomez »

Originally posted by ******
thomez has this nice fancy gas cap also maybe he'll chime in and say where he got it:wow

That is from Billet Racing Products at www.brpit.com - anodized red biggrin.gif

jfarrar

#14 Post by jfarrar »

i had problems with those vents once to.put one on at race quad would go like 3 laps hard than act as if it run outta gas.just die.sit on the side of the track thinkin of what the heck could be wrong and it started.cool i thought.next moto same thing 3 laps almost the same exact spot.went back to the pits pulled that prick off stuck it on the pit bike and havent had a problem since.i think it restricts to much flow when you are totally pounding the crap out of your motor and the heat and stuff and tank swelling.

Canniboomer

#15 Post by Canniboomer »

I was also concerned that the mini-vent caps don't filter the intake air.... here's a pic of the K&N super mini crankcase vent filter used as a tank vent filter -- it fits great in the vacant hole in my keyplate (switched forward in my case), since I'm not using a kill switch.

CannondaleRider

#16 Post by CannondaleRider »

Originally posted by Canniboomer
I was also concerned that the mini-vent caps don't filter the intake air.... here's a pic of the K&N super mini crankcase vent filter used as a tank vent filter -- it fits great in the vacant hole in my keyplate (switched forward in my case), since I'm not using a kill switch.

That looks like an awsome setup, i'll definitely be doin that.(if you don't mind) :head:

JST

#17 Post by JST »

As always we are a resourcful bunch.Great idea.

cannondale27

#18 Post by cannondale27 »

Yes great idea!

CannondaleRider

#19 Post by CannondaleRider »

Hey Canniboomer could I get a part # or something for that filter.

Canniboomer

#20 Post by Canniboomer »

Sure, the filterpart is K&N 62-2470 and is 1-3/8x1-1/8.

Be sure to use the thicker walled "freeFLO" vent hose, and you will need a standard brass insert at the filter end to allow for the clamping pressure. Also, I used a hose washer to prevent clamp from scratching the key plate -- when done, it is just loose enough in the keyplate hole to allow for the (2 hand) spin that may be needed when rotating the fuel cap.

ps....I had tried it for a while with putting the filter directly on top of the cap, and for-sure it looked trick with the chrome K&N pointing upward -- but don't do that -- it allows for direct evaporation of the fuel vapors. You need to maintain the "arch" in the vent hose, however you plan to mount it.

ps2... also note there is still room to use a block-style bar pad.