AT the end of my rope!!

cannondale27

#11 Post by cannondale27 »

You got it Wistech I was thinking the same thing.Could even have the wires plugged into the wrong plug in.Black and blackwhite plug goes to the solenoid the red and red goes to red and red.Very easy to do since plugs are same on some models.

DangerRanger

#12 Post by DangerRanger »

I have to agree with the two nutcases above..I watched one such event happen, and received a call on the other...usually it torches the ECU too, so swap them, THEN swap ecus again.

BMW

ducman

#13 Post by ducman »

I can't understand how these problems are showing up. Lets see if I have this figured right 1. the ecu is powered all the time and all the switch does is close an internal relay in the ecu? If this is the case that would explain the engine not shutting off, but after killing the engine all things returning to normal after a few minutes (contact sticking closed) 2. the starter relay also receives power from the ecu? I put a new starter relay on because the old one would not work all the time, I could hear it clicking but not energizing the starter. At the same time the relay started acting up it started to blow fuses, a long shot but was hoping the relay was shorting and blowing the fuse. I thought about a short in the wiring but seems this problem should be worse when moving not sitting still tring to start the engine. The starter problem happened when I tried a different ecu that was not a known good one, but I will double check the connections.

ducman

#14 Post by ducman »

The demon's have left the building!!!!!!!!! :hammer:
It helps to have a manual on these things, turned out to be a shorted wiring harness.(but of course this was the last thing that I checked) I think I also found the cause for the engine to shut off when going to full throttle some times, I read a service notice checked my quad and sure enough fuel line was routed wrong causing it to vapor lock. After thinking about this it makes sense, when the stalls would happen it was usually right after coming out of the woods so the ambient temp around the engine would be hotter because of the reduced speed.(no comment needed from you on this one Doug) Anyway hope all of these pains I have went through pay off, I'm ready to ride!

jesshamner

#15 Post by jesshamner »

Originally posted by ducman
The demon's have left the building!!!!!!!!!  :hammer:
It helps to have a manual on these things, turned out to be a shorted wiring harness.(but of course this was the last thing that I checked)  

Its good to hear that you didn't keep looking after you found the problem.

Seriously though...its good to hear that you got it taken care of.

ducman

#16 Post by ducman »

Originally posted by jesshamner
Its good to hear that you didn't keep looking after you found the problem.  

Seriously though...its good to hear that you got it taken care of.
lol. After all that this thing has put me through its a wonder I even realize I have it fixed. But wouldn't it have been nice to went with my first thought and changed the wiring out a week ago?

jesshamner

#17 Post by jesshamner »

I guess it happens like that sometimes. Have fun with it now. :usa

ducman

update

#18 Post by ducman »

Demons are back.:cry:
Just went for a test ride, still will die sometimes when i go to open the throttle. Can't be that many things I have not changed, fuel pump or pressure regulator. Could the tps flake out sometimes and shut the engine down. Anyway other than the stalling issue and rolling it over on top of me things went well. For as lite as this seems when I load it, it sure seems to weigh alot when it on your back. :eek:

ducman

#19 Post by ducman »

Alright I now have the problem of not shutting off figured out. After looking at a wiring diagram I took apart my old wiring harness and located the diode, checked it and sure enough it is bad. So now I think I have all the problems solved, start to go riding Sunday I have the bike warming up and after about one minute it just dies and will not start back. Another trip to Haydug's to use the laptop I find the ecu will not send or receive information properly, put a new ecu in and reprogram it, still will not run. Checked the plug no fire, turns out the coil went bad. Now I have a new wiring harness, ecu, stator, voltage regulator, coil, spark plug, and I almost forgot a new tire to replace the one I cut the side wall out of in my first race. I now have logged about 20 hours of maintance for 4 hours of ride time, guess you could say I got my feet wet (and the top of my head) pretty fast.