New Exhaust

CptHook

#11 Post by CptHook »

ok, apparently I wasnt clear enough, the jest of what Im saying is, if I spend the money on the full system I know its going to fit and work, thats what it is intended for. But if I spend the money on this header mod, is there any guarentee that it will work. I am mainly concerned because Im not really comfortable with modifying the pipe or the header, and just as a disclaimer this is just my opinion; considering the pipes and headers are engineered to act a certain way, I would think that doing modifications to these would jeopardize the performace level of your exhaust all together considering you are effecting the way pressure is reflected and disapated throughout your exhaust. So I guess what Im saying is I dont want to spend the time and money having it done if its a "either it will fit or it wont" as you so called it. Also, is the header that comes with the HMF full system not stainless steel?

Happyboy

#12 Post by Happyboy »

Hook, you don't actually do the mod. You would send your 03 header to doug and he will send you a header that will fit your HMF slip on. The full system is over 400 bucks and the slip on with doug's header will be 300 or less. Thats 100 bucks that you could send me for a refering you to doug. smile.gif Any of these systems will work great. You really aren't going to see a performance change between the 03 header mod and the full exhaust setup. They haven't been dynoed but the "feel" is the same.

If you want the biggest bang then you may want to look at a TC pipe setup. They have the largest low end gain i think.

CptHook

#13 Post by CptHook »

Well I think I would feel more comfortable if there was a dyno, but it seems that there are plenty of people that have bought the header mod with no problems so I guess Ill do that, Ill work it out with doug over the phone when Im finally ready to order. BTW Thanks to everyone who posted, I appreciate the help. And Hap, how bout I just send u half of the 100 saved for that bumper of yours?:deal: wink.gif

Happyboy

#14 Post by Happyboy »

Man, you are around a good bunch of people. Most of the people on these boards do nothing but sit around looking at the forums all day hoping someone posts something. Heck, they ignore their work, their loved ones, even thier personal hiegene just so they can help others. Now that is dedication!

:usa

TheJaspMan

#15 Post by TheJaspMan »

Originally posted by wistech
The reason there are so few slipons for that headpipe is because it goes into the stock toaster in the cornet of the box. If it went into the center ant muffler would fit. The older header connected up under the frame so an intermediate pipe was easy to integrate into the slipon.   You kind of need a offset cannister muffler to use the stock 03 header.   I think if the last couple of inches were removed from the bend at the end the 02 slipons would work but a rebend might be in order. This might be what Haydug is doing.   That would be cool to reuse such a nice stainless steel header in instead of the  old one.  Here is a comparison pic of the ideal moto header that comes out further to the center for an easy slipon design.

In this picture, what is what? I the 03 pipe on the right?

wistech

#16 Post by wistech »

The 03 stock pipe is on the left and the right is the titanium fmf pipe. Sorry I dont have any 02 pipes anymore but it was shorter than both of these and didnt come out from under the subframe.

TheJaspMan

#17 Post by TheJaspMan »

If you use an expander on the 03 pipe with a slip on work properly? Or could a small extension sized properly work?

cdrookie

#18 Post by cdrookie »

no, the 03 is a longer header. you could cut it and reweld the end back on fairly easy/

TheJaspMan

#19 Post by TheJaspMan »

Originally posted by cdrookie
no, the 03 is a longer header. you could cut it and reweld the end back on fairly easy/

What if you cut the slip-on in half?

cdrookie

#20 Post by cdrookie »

i guess that'd work:confused: