Torque??

Ryanstones

ooolala

#11 Post by Ryanstones »

Great news Dug!

I'm glad i have my deposit in.:ride:

CannondaleRider

#12 Post by CannondaleRider »

14/38 I see, Maybe a 15/38 or 14/36. And this is for MX right? So would a 15/36 be possible for us desert racers.

Sounds like its gonna be good for our(Me and krash) kind of racing, no matter what.:head:

cannibalq8

#13 Post by cannibalq8 »

WOW!! ... 14/38 and still pulls hard .. that's really cool .. keep update us :head:

cdrookie

#14 Post by cdrookie »

if you go any smaller than 38 in the rear you'll be changing buffers every hour.

haydug

#15 Post by haydug »

First report:
Saturday 1 pm, bike is running. Richen flow rate to 2200. Rode it up and down the block a couple of time (BELOW 8000 RPM!!) to see how it felt. Bike pulled strong, pulling front wheels no problem with only throttle.
Went to a local MX track, which turned out to be muddy. I put 20 laps on the bike, noting it deadening on top alittle.
I have switched from blaze/speed to moto/speed. Flow rate now at 2050.
I had new, uncut turf tamer tires mounted (18x9.5) on the rear of the bike.
I took along "old faithful" for comparison (the bike at the group ride that wannablaze & pdavis was riding). I know Josh thought that bike could be faster, but from personal experience I know it is fast on topend. It has holeshot's on the rear.

I will say the new falicon bike will pull this bike easily right off the bottom into the midrange, but the topends seem very close. One thing I did notice, which hurts the performance, it seems either the clutch is slipping alittle, or wheels spinnings on the falicon. I'm not talking about just cracking the throttle and spinning the tires either, I'm talking about 4th gear straightaway leading to a tabletop. Remember it is muddy where I'm riding this bike. I played around with the fuel settings, but wasn't noticing a difference, so I quit and started riding.
I could come to the rythym section in 3rd gear idling, and seat bounce the first 2 (around 25 ft) and easily clear the next set. Traction was in issue, but it could be done. On "old faithful" I would have to stay in 2nd, and clutch the bike on the face of the jump, still no problem clearing it, but completly different styles of riding.
I left the track after 2 1/2 tanks of gas (250R conversion bike) and it was completely dark. My initial impressions were mixed. I like the new midrange power, but wasn't impressed at the top gain.

haydug

#16 Post by haydug »

2nd report:
I took the bike racing today at an AMA district 11 race. Practice was a muddy mess, so no real impressions to be had.
1st moto I had a built 400ex on the left, and a new 450r with some goodies on my right. Gate dropped and I sit there spinning ( and kicking myself in the *** for not switching rear tires). But after along start straight, I caught them, and managed a 2nd place out of the first turn. I chased the ex for 2 laps before finally passing him, then checking out. This was my first time to really feel this thing out. The track was still muddy, thick mud that sucks your power and speed. You let off the throttle, and you stop. I never took the bike below 3rd gear, and noticed that annoying clutch slip or tire spin was back. I'm still not convinced the clutch is not slipping alittle, but it is a new pack and properly adjusted. I did notice that going up the faces of the jumps, I could bread the tires loose if I was really hard on the gas. The front end was not a problem because of wheel spin. There is a 75' tabletop that I cleared in 3rd gear and 4th gear. Either lugging or revving, it seems to pull good.
2nd moto:
We line up the same way again, but when the gate dropped this time, I spun off again (da**-it!) however about 1/2 down the start straightaway, I let the bike rev, and went flying past them into the first turn, and away I went. Now, the bike seems to be revving (track is alot dryer now) and pulling into the higher rpm's extremely hard as well. This is something I hadn't noticed yet, maybe because of mud, maybe because I was babying it alittle. So I start playing alittle, hitting some of the bigger jumps seat bouncing in lower gears, or revving the **** out of it and coasting off the faces. I have noticed that engine braking feels more exagerated on this bike. Not sure why, but it does have more decrompression braking than before. That is something I don't like, and resorts to me pulling the clutch in on the faces of the jumps to coast over them, then releasing on a nose down landing on the back side. I again am noticing alittle slippage of the clutch at this point. So, I shift up a gear in the air, and land clutch out and on the gas, the bike actually wheelied once upon landing. It was not a "bounce" wheelie either, it was a power wheelie. So, I'm not sure what is going on with my clutch, or if I am revved out, it will spin the tires and I'm not realizing it. I was able to clear a 50' double coming right out of a turn, which only the pro and top "b" motorcycles were clearing.

3 1/2 tanks of gas through it and all is fine.

Now for the part your probably wondering. Yes, this motor runs smoother than before. So you know the engine, this is the 250 coversion bike that was at the group ride. The engine had 2 rides on it, balanced ATK crank, ported head, 450 kit, and new cams installed. I wanted to test the falicon on that motor for a real life comparison.
The crank did make more power, it changed the characteristics alittle as well. The motor feels smoother on top quite noticably.

I belive now I need to work on a map for this engine ( or Jay does anyway LOL). I still don't think it is running to its full potentiel, but after seeing it pull the new Honda's down the straights, I was getting asked alot of queastions about it.
The bike still has 14/38 gearing. I am leaving it alone for now, but may play around some. 1st gear is pretty much useless, 2nd not much better. I tried 2nd coming around some of the corners, but it would just pull right through the gear so quick, that a shift was neccessary before completely straightening out. Oh, and the tire spin was also a concern in 2nd.

CannondaleRider

#17 Post by CannondaleRider »

Sounds good so far, i guess. So now that you know the power, what do you think would be the highest gearing you could go to without losing ALL the bottom:head:

Jaybr

#18 Post by Jaybr »

I haven't put any time on mine yet, but rode it up and down the street a couple times. I noticed the same pull as Doug, and I'm running the same gearing. Nrath also rode it a little and had similar comments as Doug, pulls through 1st, 2nd, and even 3rd really quick. We didn't have room in front of the house to get to 4th.

One thing I didn't notice at all on mine was it being flat on top, but I am already running a new map with more fuel on the topend.

Hopefully I'll have time tomorrow to get it out to my track and ride it some and work on the mapping a little more.

My motor has

Falicon Crank
Wiseco 97mm piston
Millinium Nicasil liner
FDO ported head with reangled injectors
New spec cams
Ace airbox
Throttle body mod (I think Timbo stole this from me;) )

haydug

#19 Post by haydug »

I just got a call today from a local mx rider (he is pretty fast too). He picked up the bike this morning for some more abuse. He loves the power, and went on and on about how well it ran. He has ridden Cannondales for 2 years as well, so he does know how they run. He was very impressed with this bike.

Just got Jay's map today, and will have it loaded and tried out this evening.

USAMoto00

#20 Post by USAMoto00 »

Haydug, that was a very good report. It's hard to tell exactly what's going on in the mud. We rode at that new track by us on Sat. It was muddy and thick at that! Talk about robbing power. If you were still able to wheelie, that thing is making gobs of power! Awesome report and keep 'em coming. How much for one of them beasts anyways? Are they available now, or are these just prototypes? Thanks.