New Ride, just in time for the trip to IA

ducman

#11 Post by ducman »

If you seen the difference in our powered metal parts that we supply to Toyota compaired to what they get out of Japan, you might have a different view on there quality of parts. But don't get me wrong not knocking there foreign cars, most of the big three's cars and trucks have a high % of FOREIGN made componets and just assembeled here in the states. What makes in American, if an American worker has a good job putting it together who cares.

TheJaspMan

#12 Post by TheJaspMan »

I can tell you first hand that most of the metal comes from overseas anyways. And anyone from PA can probably agree with that too.

Next is the assembly. There are few large plants left in the USA. But Jaybr is correct, most cars, trucks, vans and light vehicles are built and MOSTLY assembled in either Canada and the majority in Mexico.

And not one transmission is completly done in the USA. We bring thousands of them each week from Mexico.

Chrysler Engine= Taluca Mexico
Cummins Transmission = Saltillo Mexico
Chrysler Body = Monterry Mexico
Misc Ford Parts = Hermossilo Mexico
Chrysler Assembly = Santiago Mexico
Ford Assembly = Chiuahua Mexico
GM Engine Division = Cautiluan Mexico

It's a sad fact that some 'foreign' cars have more assembly time in the USA that our 'USA' motor makers.

In fact Hyundia, Toyata and a couple others get their electronics from Battle Creek Michigan. They assemble in Georgetown Kentucky. The steel is bought from over seas, but at a lesser percentage than Ford, GM and Chrysler.

kdeal

#13 Post by kdeal »

Wow.
First,
Congrats and good luck with the new truck Jay. I feel you spent a lot of money to get a GPS...lol But, I also know you wanted something to use as a business vehicle as well, and the vehicle has to suit your needs not anyone elses.

Second,
I worked in the automotive industry for several years at the independent and corporate levels, and we did this to ourselves. The Japanese took machining to a whole new level. They could take an old Budweiser can and make a car out of it, we (the american worker) just laughed at the beer can car. Now the Japanese have a USA market share that rivals our own branded vehicles. We aren't laughing now. I still think that when the USA builds something with pride it rivals anything out there......

Now the question is.......check under the hood Jay, see if it says Miller genuine draft....lol

:eek:

ccole

#14 Post by ccole »

Wow didn't know that the "jap" comment would start this. I'm a UAW worker and me, myself and i just wouldn't buy a foreign car or truck. I live in MO. There is a Ford, Chevy and Chryslar plant all within a 90 miles of each other and i do beleive there is still a few plants in MI so there are a few vehicles still assembled here in the USA don't you think. The "made in the USA" is a big reason i own a Canondale. Jay, i didn't mean to bash you new purchase congrats and enjoy!

Jaybr

#15 Post by Jaybr »

Originally posted by ccole
Jay, i didn't mean to bash you new purchase congrats and enjoy!

Did'nt take it that way:)

I just have a hard time with the "Made in the USA" label on cars anymore since so many of US manufacturers have gone across the border, and so many foriegn manufacturers have come here.

Honda, Toyota, Mazda, Nissan, BMW, Mercedes and I'm sure others all have assembly plants here in the US now.

According to the FCC, cars and trucks have to be assembled in the USA and the majority of their parts have to be from the USA for them to be considered "Made in the USA". Given those regulations, are any full size trucks "Made in the USA"?

TheJaspMan

#16 Post by TheJaspMan »

Originally posted by Jaybr
According to the FCC, cars and trucks have to be assembled in the USA and the majority of their parts have to be from the USA for them to be considered "Made in the USA".  Given those regulations, are any full size trucks "Made in the USA"?

I would love to see those statistics!

It would blow most peoples minds if they really knew the process of building cars these days. It's cheaper to ship in and out of the country on a daily basis than to build an entire auto in our country! And trust me, it's not all cheap labor.

It's not just cars anymore. It's electronics, customer service, film, jeans, canned goods (vienna sausage, pork & beans, rice, mushrooms...), bulk leather and the list goes on and on.

Not only does this country have the ability and the people to be self-sufficient, but also the knowledge. It baffles me how we let things get this bad.

My industry is one of the worst. Shipping/rail/trucking. We make it simple and easy to bring stuff into the country from over seas and on the rails. That is our largest duty. nationwide shipping is a small fraction of trucking. And most of those items originated on a rail or overseas steamship line.

I don't slight anyone for what they drive these days. There is really nothing 100% American made anymore. So you might as well buy what suits your needs!!!

cannondale27

#17 Post by cannondale27 »

What I need too know is how well this thing tows your camper or trailer?On a trip I never go under 70mph like I said the Tundra had a hard time on way back 8mpg and foot to floor almost.Let me know how the Titan does.Also does a quad fit in box now?

Jaybr

#18 Post by Jaybr »

I'll definately give you a report. I've towed plenty with my Tundra and Sequoia and they get the job done but I think the Titan will get it done better:)

I haven't tried to fit the quad in the back yet, but I'm sure it will fit with the bed extender.

cannondale27

#19 Post by cannondale27 »

If you need a extender then they must have left it same as last year.Hard to believe they dont make it 6ft like mine.

ducman

#20 Post by ducman »

Originally posted by cannondale27
What I need too know is how well this thing tows your camper or trailer?On a trip I never go under 70mph like I said the Tundra had a hard time on way back 8mpg and foot to floor almost.Let me know how the Titan does.Also does a quad fit in box now?
8 mpg? What the? I have a 94 Ford diesel with 4:10 gears that gets 12 mpg pulling a large enclosed trailer.