The name that failure game

Happyboy

#11 Post by Happyboy »

Oh wow, it could be a tranny bolt. But you said there were metal flake in the oil side filter, not the tranny. So that tranny bolt wouldn't really matter. I will stick with top end failure.

TheJaspMan

#12 Post by TheJaspMan »

Originally posted by Happyboy
Oh wow, it could be a tranny bolt.  But you said there were metal flake in the oil side filter, not the tranny.  So that tranny bolt wouldn't really matter.  I will stick with top end failure.

The filer metal may be unrelated. This is a Cannondale we are talking about!

wistech

#13 Post by wistech »

The metal was aluminum shavings/chips and it was in the engine oil filter. Lets be more specific than (exmpl top end,crank,)
Another prize has been added. 4 quarts of yamalube!!

I will post my guess before I pull the covers off.

Happyboy

#14 Post by Happyboy »

I said I was staying with top end just to mean with my original guess. Valves.

Canniboomer

#15 Post by Canniboomer »

Wrist pin failure, shavings from pin area skirt until too loose to grind more shavings (flakes stopped) -- then complete fail ??

wistech

#16 Post by wistech »

Very good ideas so far. The quad sounded the same from day one till the day it died . And there was never any power loss. Now im so interested to find out I might just forgo picking up Halo2 tonight and pull it down. Nah

USAMoto00

#17 Post by USAMoto00 »

I think ****** has something there, but when you take it apart, I'll bet you have 3 broken valves.:usa

bknight

#18 Post by bknight »

:confused: :confused: decommpression lever stuck i would say
open
reread the post dont know now:o

MX Quad Dad

#19 Post by MX Quad Dad »

After what has happened to our Moto I would say cam wore top of at least one bucket (starting with the gear side of the exhaust cam) mushrooming it out and causing the bucket to seize and hold the valve open.

Just woundering if anybody has an ideal what would fail first if there were short segment of no oil supply to the engine? There is a lot of oil slinging around in the crankcase, and there is a lot of pressure required to open the valves.

cannondale27

#20 Post by cannondale27 »

I believe the wear to both the buckets and cam that are seen in some is due to the valves floating.I have a bunch of wore cams and am doing Rockwell tests on them and we will be checking valvespring tensions.