headlights killing battery

Happyboy

#11 Post by Happyboy »

I put 2 55 watt lights on and it drained the battery down. I then put 2 50watt bulbs in, same thing.

My stator is working fine so my bike just can't handle that 100 watt load.

Jaybr

#12 Post by Jaybr »

If you can handle the $ go for HID's. I'm running one big HID up front that provides 10 times more light than stockers at only 35 watts. ****** mounted a set of trial tech HIDs on his bars in addition to the stockers and had no problems at Glamis.

dsracer666

#13 Post by dsracer666 »

the battery does charge with the lights off, so my charging system is working. and my battery is good and does hold a charge.

its almost like the charging system is being used for the lights and the motor runs off the battery (when the lights are on)

oh well, at least I have a good dealer to help me out! thanks dave:D

Jaybr

#14 Post by Jaybr »

Sorry I got off topic.

There are 2 different sized stators, 100w and 130w. Sounds like you either have the 100w or yours is just weak.

dsracer666

#15 Post by dsracer666 »

Originally posted by Jaybr
Sorry I got off topic.

There are 2 different sized stators, 100w and 130w.  Sounds like you either have the 100w or yours is just weak.

thanks, that will give me a good start to finding the problem.

kdeal

Re: headlights killing battery

#16 Post by kdeal »

Originally posted by dsracer666
I went for a 3hr ride to night, very fast high reving ride.

the first hour I rode when I would stop it would start up no problem.

but later on when I would stop it would act like the battery was dead?

by the end of the ride I coulden't even run the lights or it would break up!:mad:

whats going on? is this a common problem?

Check the stator wire behind the flywheel just for grins.... You can see it w/o pulling the flywheel. But, you will need to remove it if you need the extra shielding.

aroracer72

#17 Post by aroracer72 »

Are you the kind of rider that likes to keep his ignition on after you shut off the quad. Cause you cant let dales sit with the lights on when it isnt running..............i know you can do that with a ds.,.....but dales arnt bombs
CHAD

dsracer666

#18 Post by dsracer666 »

Originally posted by aroracer72
Are you the kind of rider that likes to keep his ignition on after you shut off the quad. Cause you cant let dales sit with the lights on when it isnt running..............i know you can do that with a ds.,.....but dales arnt bombs
CHAD

no, I always shut off both switches!

the light were defenitly draining the battery. because on the ride back with them off, the battery was charged when I got back to the truck.

cannondale27

#19 Post by cannondale27 »

Sometimes when batt is shot voltage readings will be fine.Get a load test done on battery.Usually they will do it free.Only good way to test a battery.I have seen lots of brand new batteries fail.